d'oh!

chuckwhut

lame.
for those of you who have been follwing my "22re codes" thread...
bought new battery terminal connectors, cut off old ends of wire to fresh copper. checked all my grounds. everything seemed gravy. shorted out the T E1 and did my timing, was almost perfect but put it back on 5 where it should be. un-shorted T E1 terminal.
reset my idle to 750 rpm.
saw something wet, it was a brown plastic part, kinda under the front end of the plenum (i still am not sure what the part is, maybe bsvs?).
upon nasal examination, determined it was gasoline, (excited thinking i'm on my way to solving my "running lean" problem!) so i started looking for leaks, but couldn't find any. shut off engine. connected the fuel pump test connector, turned key to power on (not engine running)...and i could hear what i assumed was fuel running through the lines, although it sounded like a vaccuum leak. anyway, i never saw any fuel leaking, although there is alot of stuff in the way over there. so i pulled that jumper and cranked it back up, hoping to see something with it running, never really did. thought i'd give my injectors a listen while i was at it, and as i leaned way over to listen to #4, i broke the blue VSV.
d'oh!!!
so i have compounded my problems, and i need a new blue VSV.

while i'm getting that, who wants to play guess where chuck's fuel leak is?
all suggestions will be checked, and the winner gets some sort of nifty prize.

Sorry to hear sbout youre bad luck.

If the fuel leak is at the front of the plenum, it will br the fuel dampner. It is common for them to go out. Fuel dampners were used on the older injection systems to help "dampen" the fuel from the pulsing of the injectors.

chuckwhut said:
i just checked on that...the dampner is at the back of the fuel rail..the piece that is getting gas on it is at the front of the fuel rail, right under the number 1 injector. it has like a brass fitting for a wrench, and the bottom of the piece is plastic...

Thats the "Pulsation dampner", the piece at the rear of the fuel rail is the fuel pressure regulator (should have a vacuum line coming off it)

Pulsation dampners are good for leaking, so are pressure regulators for that matter, but they leak in a different manner.

Possibly, depends how bad the leak is. The pulsation dampner has been accused of other issues too some of them drivability issues.

you really should find someone who can check the fuel pressure, be sure the fuel pump is operating properly.

Back