DOM or HREW for rollcage...

DOM tubing or HREW tubing?

• Total voters

spraypaintman

Which do you guys prefer and why. Obviously dom is stronger but more expensive. The cage in my 78 cj7 is hrew and it was built a while back. I am planning on building a cage for a yj project and would like to hear some opinions.

:beer:

Poop Pipe!

a year ago i would've say HREW or poop pipe, but after seeing how well 35xj's rig took that massive roll down cream puff i wouldn't use anything but DOM.
if all your building is a roll cage then you wouldn't need that much tubing. i just bought 1.5" 120 wall DOM and it wasn't that expensive, right at 3.50 a foot.

dom

Looks like hot rolled electric welded is winning....:popcorn:

I had my cage built about this time last year and the fabricator was able to get DOM for about the same price as HREW because it was the end of the year and they were clearing inventory.

my cage is a mix and match, all HREW in the rear, past the B pillar and mostly DOM in the front. Looking at the overall amount of tube I used (cage was for a tj) I would probably just use DOM all over since I really didn't use that much tube.

DOM fer sure....i decided to spend a little extra but be safe...mine has taken a few beatings

here is an idea of compromise use Dom for main outers and hrew for the rest = piece of mind and saves $
just a thought

DOM. Price on DOM tube now is ~$65 a stick or less depending on how much you buy. HREW is $40 or less a stick. So figure for your cage you might add $100 for materials, well worth it.
Used to I'd say HREW, but steel has dropped lately, especially DOM.

Please tell me where you are getting DOM for $65 a stick. I don't believe this is correct. Please send me the name of the place and contact info so I can get a quote.

Lowes - Black Iron Pipe 1-1/4" schedule 40, comes out to about 1.75" to fit right in your bender, best part, $17ish for 10 ft and you can just run to Lowes to get it.

say what you want about it being crap but I've seen it hold up to abuse on mine and others rigs time and time again, the key is good cage design and triangulation, not some expensive fancy DOM :shaking:

A year ago I sort of bought into the idea that rock crawling isn't nascar so you don't need a perfect cage. Now I've come full circle. We might not go 200 mph but we do tricky obstacles on the face of mountains. 35xj is just one example of a guy that has really required a good cage. Every year somebody goes over the side on trail 1 at tellico. I've been in tippy situations on the edge of big barrel rolls too.

Use DOM, after a year you'll forget the extra $100.

I need to go to DHGriff and get some poop pipe.... 40 sticks for 10bucks! Do you guys really run that stuff?

I need to go to DHGriff and get some poop pipe.... 40 sticks for 10bucks! Do you guys really run that stuff?

Yup. My whole exo cage was built from it. $30:flipoff2: About what I value my head at.

LOL...people only use poop for exo's though right.

Back