DOT 40s

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
Looking like some new shoes are on the horizon for me and I want to make an informed purchase

Looking for DOT rated 40s that will be driven on the roads and aired down to wheel.

What’s a good tire for this application?

Cooper SST Pro or Yokohama XMT are in my sights.

I put this together last fall when I was trying to figure out what tires to buy for my Jeep. It might help.

40 inch tires.jpg

If funding exists, Goodyear MTR/K'S. They're not cheap but I loved my MTR'S and would run them again in no time.

I haven't run them in a 40" but I'm liking the 35" Cooper stt pros that I have on my Dodge right now. I've considered them in a 40" for my TJ for the same thing you're looking at.

I just got some 40" MT2s. I'm loving them so far, but haven't done anything other than drive it on the road. I WILL say that I was pretty impressed with how well they balanced. I think the worst one took six ounces of weight. Not bad for a 125 lb tire/wheel combo.

I know ProComps used to be made by Cooper. Not sure if they still are or not.

No personal experience, but you can't beat the price of the Patagonia M/t's. All the feed back I have heard has been good. Watch amazon and Walmart they are regularly $260ish/tire for 40's.

No personal experience, but you can't beat the price of the Patagonia M/t's. All the feed back I have heard has been good. Watch amazon and Walmart they are regularly $260ish/tire for 40's.

I don't really like the tread pattern aesthetically, but I've also been tempted by the feedback I've seen and the prices. Recently Walmart had the 38's listed for like 205/ea and I decided to pull the trigger, but when I put in my zip, that deal wasn't available at any store near me. So I don't know if Walmart works with local retailers who will only sell nearby or what, but that was a real bummer.

I don't really like the tread pattern aesthetically, but I've also been tempted by the feedback I've seen and the prices. Recently Walmart had the 38's listed for like 205/ea and I decided to pull the trigger, but when I put in my zip, that deal wasn't available at any store near me. So I don't know if Walmart works with local retailers who will only sell nearby or what, but that was a real bummer.

Agreed on the athletics, but if they perform and are cheap it’s hard to say no.

I think most of the Patagonia usage is coming from the West coast, which is a totally different ball game compared to here.

I think most of the Patagonia usage is coming from the West coast, which is a totally different ball game compared to here.

True. The tighter tread may give them better street manners than the typical zig zag of open tread on the traditional MT patterns. I saw a few rigs with the patagonia's at URE last time I went, but it was dry, so they seemed to do fine. I don't know how much worse/better they would be in wet/muddy rock or sidewall durability vs most other radial muds - seems like one is about as good as any other these days.

Looking for something similar, I have found these others:

- MT Baja Boss (~$450): https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/micke...4347&cjevent=9804b02eaf0111e9830001580a240610
- Fury Country Hunter (~$350): https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/fury-...4347&cjevent=a61e79d3af0111e9830001580a240610
- Maxxis Trep Radial (~$400): https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-TL000...nkCode=ur2&qid=1564075739&s=automotive&sr=1-2
- Gladiator XCOMP (~$320): https://www.amazon.com/GLADIATOR-Co...nkCode=ur2&qid=1564075739&s=automotive&sr=1-3

I havent looked much but would like to find something slightly larger ~42".

Currently I’m running 40” Maxxis Creepys DOT. I have had no complaints with them off-road, but I want to go back to radial since it sees street time on the weekends and I live in FL so my wheeling trips are only a few times a year. So the bias ply tires don’t get much of a chance to round out when I drive it. When ever I sell mine and make the switch I’m going with Nitto TG’s. Everything I have gathered is they are one of the best all dual use radials you can buy.

Currently I’m running 40” Maxxis Creepys DOT. I have had no complaints with them off-road, but I want to go back to radial since it sees street time on the weekends and I live in FL so my wheeling trips are only a few times a year. So the bias ply tires don’t get much of a chance to round out when I drive it. When ever I sell mine and make the switch I’m going with Nitto TG’s. Everything I have gathered is they are one of the best all dual use radials you can buy.

Always wanted to try those tires. Heard they stick pretty good for a DOT compound

They aren’t sticky enough to make it up boat ramp at Choccolocco. Or at least I couldn’t make it stock wheel base on leafs. I’m going to try again with the new set up.

8c46c2e4831aa7856d30c83b2eacea0a.jpg

They aren’t sticky enough to make it up boat ramp at Choccolocco. Or at least I couldn’t make it stock wheel base on leafs. I’m going to try again with the new set up.

8c46c2e4831aa7856d30c83b2eacea0a.jpg

When that bitch is wet they ain't much that's sticky enough to climb her. I know @Jody Treadway and some of his crew on sticky tires tried and had no luck.

Nitto TG non sticky are equivalent durometer to older 42” tsl bias ply.

If I can find my list, I had a bunch of durometer readings of non sticky 40” tires with corresponding temperature readings.

I’d like to see that myself.

Is this the science of tires yet?

According to Goforth Tire the 40” Nitto TG aren’t available anymore. He can order a 37” but not a 40”. Makes we wonder if there is a new Nitto on the horizon.

Which sucks for me because that’s what I wanted originally. Looking hard at the STT Pros. Anyone ran the Yokohama XMT, it looks promising.

According to Goforth Tire the 40” Nitto TG aren’t available anymore. He can order a 37” but not a 40”. Makes we wonder if there is a new Nitto on the horizon.

Give Brandon a call at rides. Last time I talked to him he could get the toyo mts cheaper than the nitto's (which look the same to me). He can beat all the prices I've seen posted in this thread also.....

I’d like to see that myself.

Is this the science of tires yet?

No luck finding that notepad yet.

Durometer readings are comparable but don’t tell the whole story.

Temperature reading is crucial to compare durometer readings.

Age and uv exposure make the durometer readings higher, as well as higher temps reduce the durometer reading.

BFg reds for example at 65 degrees are significantly harder than sticky treps and sticky sx’s

However when warm around 100* soften considerably more than the other two.

Reds are open cell rubber, so when freezing temps occur, the moisture in the surface of the rubber freezes and it’s like ball bearings on ice. Supper slippery.

Almost all other tires are closed cell rubber.

Dot tires are all closed cell rubber.

All of these are from memory, in the shade, in 78* shop. Durometer readings.

New red 63
Old red. 70
New tsl 69
Old tsl 79
Old sx2’s 80
Old irok 79
New irok 72
Old sx 81 (non sticky)
New sx 71 (non sticky)
New bogger 73

BFg a/t. 82
Bridgestone something e-rated 84
Michelin ltx at. 88
205 Trailer tire 74

Brand new nitto 40” TG 76

In 65* shade sticky’s, all were less than 1yr old.
39. Red. 65
42” trep 58
39” Creepy. 61
43” sx. 59.

Don’t remember the hot numbers specifically on the trail as I measured them in a hurry, and didn’t take picture of temp and durometer as usual,

But most of the sticky’s were around high 40/ low 50s riding around on trails in the sun on dry rock with surface temps above 90*

Back