Down to 2 vehicles, help me decide.

csudman

I'm buying a dd/tow rig. GMC/Chevy, and its newer. I might tow once a month, at the most. And my rig and trailer will not weight over 4500 lbs. total.

This will mostly be a dd just so everyone knows what the primary use is.

Vehicle 1 - 2000, GMC 2500 ext cab, 6.0 Gas, 2wd, 82000miles, 11k

Vehicle 2 - 2000, GMC 1500 ext cad, 5.3 Gas, 4wd, 80000miles, 11k

So, the question is, would your rather have a 5.3 4x4 or a 6.0 2x4. I'm leaning towards the 2x4 but I need options of people who have been in similar situations.

Thanks

Will you ever have to use it off road, other than a gravel road/parking lot? Will you ever need to use it in the snow?

That's how I would make my 4WD vs. 2WD decision.

I always end up needing the 4WD just at my own home (14 acres), so that made the decision for me. But other people's uses vary.

Well, we get a little snow, but even then, I can drive the yota. Other than that, at the trail heads and things like that. I've heard stories of towrigs not being able to pull there trailers out in 2wd when its really wet and stuff.

The other reson was resale. In 5 years I'll want a new truck.

go with the 6.0, heavier duty tranny + tranny temp guage. better brakes for towing as well. 2x4 isn't the best, but if you've got something else that will handle snow etc. I've towed with both an '00 1500 5.3 4x4 and an 03 2500 6.0 2x4, and the 2500 tows 10x better. I was pulling about 5000 lbs

"And my rig and trailer will not weight over 4500 lbs. total."

What type of rig and trailer only weigh 4500 lbs max ?
All my friends trailers and mine are heavy and then add the rig.
When I was looking trailers the lightest was around 1500 lbs and mine ended weighing around 2200-2500 lbs. At 1500 lbs that gives you 3000 lbs total for a loaded rig. I know at the ride this past weekend a few guys that weighed there jeeps they were around 4000 lbs.
Just make sure you have the numbers correct before you go off that.
I would say the 2500 would run better on the road for long trips and maybe last longer but if you are only talking short trips then the 1500 would work.
Remember that there is bigger brakes, springs, frame, and drive line.
BUt if you are only talking 4500 that is with in the normal trailer towing for a 1500.
Jon

MR. GADGET said:
"And my rig and trailer will not weight over 4500 lbs. total."

What type of rig and trailer only weigh 4500 lbs max ?
All my friends trailers and mine are heavy and then add the rig.
When I was looking trailers the lightest was around 1500 lbs and mine ended weighing around 2200-2500 lbs. At 1500 lbs that gives you 3000 lbs total for a loaded rig. I know at the ride this past weekend a few guys that weighed there jeeps they were around 4000 lbs.
Just make sure you have the numbers correct before you go off that.
I would say the 2500 would run better on the road for long trips and maybe last longer but if you are only talking short trips then the 1500 would work.
Remember that there is bigger brakes, springs, frame, and drive line.
BUt if you are only talking 4500 that is with in the normal trailer towing for a 1500.
Jon

Well, my 82 tow is supposed to weight 2800 lbs. I've removed quite a bit of metal, but I've added back some too. I'd say Its about 3-3500, max. Its light. I'm figureing 1500-2000 for the trailer. Thats a total of 5500 max. Ok, so I was a little off on my origanal numbers. Either way, I think that the 1500 could handle that too.

Am I wrong?

tow vehicle

If you tow into and out of the Tellico area you will eventually need 4 wheel drive except through Tellico Plains. 4x4 is not a very costly option and will more than pay for itself when you go to sell the vehicle. Just look at the price of a 1985 2 and 4 wheel drive truck. Which is going to bring a much larger sell price? If you never engage the front axle it will pay for itself 5 years from now.

LARRY SMITH said:
If you tow into and out of the Tellico area you will eventually need 4 wheel drive except through Tellico Plains. 4x4 is not a very costly option and will more than pay for itself when you go to sell the vehicle. Just look at the price of a 1985 2 and 4 wheel drive truck. Which is going to bring a much larger sell price? If you never engage the front axle it will pay for itself 5 years from now.

So your opinion is 4wd? I'll be riding tellico alot.

Yes, I would go with the fourwheel drive, if, Tellico is in your plans. Either way in, it is good to have if nothing more than for the low range.

csudman said:
Well, my 82 tow is supposed to weight 2800 lbs. I've removed quite a bit of metal, but I've added back some too. I'd say Its about 3-3500, max. Its light. I'm figureing 1500-2000 for the trailer. Thats a total of 5500 max. Ok, so I was a little off on my origanal numbers. Either way, I think that the 1500 could handle that too.

Am I wrong?

NO you are right on some where around 5000 would be a good number.
Look at the gearing of the two rigs you are looking.
In the past I have seen anything from 308 to 410 gears.
I would not want to tow with anything under 373'S
Also don't forget about the weight of added parts and tools.
If you carry axles and drive shafts along with the tools to fix it all that will add up too.
A lot of people look at the weight from the dealer numbers and forget to add the say 200 lbs to up size tires or the 200 lbs to add a winch and bumpers and so on.
Just saying make sure you look at the big picture.
Can you try it out towing first?? Maybe that will tell you all.
Jon

upnover said:
Yes, I would go with the fourwheel drive, if, Tellico is in your plans. Either way in, it is good to have if nothing more than for the low range.

Why do you say that? I'm not arguing just learning.

I've been to Tellico a fair number of times but I've always driven my Jeep in on the NC side. I recently bought a 2wd truck to tow the TJ and I'm wondering what sort of trouble I might run in to. I figured I'd make it to the pay post, easy.

I opted for 4 wheel drive, because I've had my jeep on the trailer behind the expidition, in a wet, grassy field, and couldn't do anything but spin tires. For the few times I would need it, I'm glad I have it.

I'd keep looking for a 2500 4wd.

tow

You can tow trail 1 to state line from Murphy with no problem, but I don't think you will make the switch backs on the return without 4 wheel drive. I will again express the resale value of a 4x4, it will be worth the money.

Honestly, I just dont think I can afford a 4wd 2500 that doesnt have 150,000 miles, but I can afford a 1500HD, its 2wd but its rated for a 10,200lb trailer. So, well see.

BoltOnJohn said:
Why do you say that? I'm not arguing just learning.

I've been to Tellico a fair number of times but I've always driven my Jeep in on the NC side. I recently bought a 2wd truck to tow the TJ and I'm wondering what sort of trouble I might run in to. I figured I'd make it to the pay post, easy.

Going in isn't as big an issue. I did it with my J-10 (no front drive shaft) in the snow. was a little tricky, but I did make it. Comming back there is no way I would have made the switchbacks and a few of the hills pulling my trailor. I went out thru Tn. This in it's self was a feat. Some very steep hills and a lot of s curves. Speed and momentum was not an option. My T-18 was in low to get me out of there. Thank goodness the snow had all but melted. Oh and if you go automatic, by all means have a good size cooler on it, and a temp guage. A good friend of mine's F-350 with auto puked after making that pull. I was lucky, I had some good fiends that laid back and made sure I made it out. Then,......after you get back on the scenic hwy going into Robinsville, then your issue is brakes. I stopped twice to cool mine, and Ihave brakes on both trailor axles.

A 1500HD is basically the 2500 light duty, and is certainly better than a regular 1/2 ton... FWIW.

I will never own a 2wd pickup again..

The 1500 hd has the same brakes as the 2500's and 3500's. 13" disc front and rear. So other than overall vehicle weight, stopping shouldn't be any harder, I understand the tranny cooler thing. That will be done before I tow anything.

The big thing, is that its a 4 door. Thats much more DD friendly.

csudman said:
The 1500 hd has the same brakes as the 2500's and 3500's. 13" disc front and rear.

Exactly!...attached to tiny 1/2ton spindles/hubs up front... and a "monster" 12bolt (or very similar) out back! :flipoff2:

So as not to be completely derogatory and to provide some symblance of info... I was told to watch the GCVW(?) or maybe it's the GCWR(?)... on the "2500" series *non-HD* trucks, as they were *NOT* high enough... IOW, once the truck + trailer + OHV were totaled, you'll be grossly illegal regardless of what you have it licensed for.

Model - 1500HD 2WD Crew Cab
Box Length (ft.) - 6.5
Max. Trailer Weight (lbs.) - 8200 with 3.73
Max. Trailer Weight (lbs.) - 10,200 with 4.10
GCWR 14,000 with 3.73
GCWR 16,000 with 4.10

Back