Drill and Tap Tubing--Charlotte

SPOA87YJ

I need someone with a lathe to drill and tap some tubing for me in the Charlotte area. I just need two ends done. The drill bit required is a 17/64 (I believe?) to accept an 1.25" 12tpi tap for a heim joint. The tubing size is 1.75" x 7/16" wall.

If anyone has any suggestions on people/shops that can do this please let me know.

I dont know who can, but the drill size should be between (1 & 11/64, and 1 & 13/64) depending on the class of the tap. 1 & 11/64 (1.171875) would be stronger, but also a tighter fit.

For your material, you need to enlarge the center by .2969 +- a few thousandths.....

Just thought i'd add that, it may help you when talking to someone about having it turned...

Thanks man..yea I just googled that tap size and thats what came up. I'd attempt this myself if I had more of a clue which it sounds like you do! I appreciate the advice.

You Could do it by hand.....you just need a BIG drill, and If I HAD to do it by hand, i'd either figure out a way to chuck it in a drill press, or, get a HUGE right angle drill. Drill it 1 & 3/16 (1.1875) and then have fun for SEVERAL hours tapping it....

You just need to find someone that has a lathe, and the tooling needed. If they know what they're doing, shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

No prob on the info....

contact jeepinmatt He can probably do it for you. His shop is in dallas, nc...right outside of charlotte.

Back