Driveway and Parking Pad Questions

uzj100

Guys,

We are getting close to installing a driveway and a parking pad. We are thinking asphalt for the driveway and concrete for the parking pad. Which would you pour first? We are thinking we could save some money if we use asphalt for the driveway because of the length (about 60ft).

I am thinking cut in driveway, push extra gravel and dirt to where the parking pad is going. Pour parking pad. Then come back and lay the asphalt driveway.

Thanks for the insight,

Andrew

uzj100 said:
We are thinking asphalt for the driveway and concrete for the parking pad.

That would be my preference... asphalt gets knarly over time and would make using anything with wheels/casters on the pad a PITA. OTOH, what's the price difference between asphalt and concreting the entire drive? I have asphalt (fair shape after 20+ years, but needs to be recovered to correct a few pinholes & drainage issues) and my folks have concrete (good after 30+ years, but cracked & buckled one spot)

uzj100 said:
Which would you pour first? We are thinking we could save some money if we use asphalt for the driveway because of the length (about 60ft).I am thinking cut in driveway, push extra gravel and dirt to where the parking pad is going. Pour parking pad. Then come back and lay the asphalt driveway.

That would also be my preference, since you run the risk of possible damage to the asphalt (if laid first) when the big@$$ concrete truck shows up to drop the pad... :mad:

And you'll want to build formwork to support the concrete while it dries. Do the concrete first, remove the forms, then you can run asphalt right to the edge of the concrete.

Asphalt sucks if you plan on working on it... jack stands, casters, etc all sink in it.

But concrete is typically more expensive to install.

That is what I hear. All work will be on the parking pad at the back of the house.

uzj100

IF you can swing for all concrete, that's the way to go. Thicker is better, and some steel inside to keep it all together. And remember to put in exspansions. Big tree roots, and shifting earth will play on either(buckling) Provide for drainage for any walls retaining yard and so on. Asphalt will push out of place on hot days if you have any curves in it. If you go with th asphalt always use big boards under jack stands.

Back