Driveway Slab Jacking

Macdaddy4738

Anyone have any recommendations for a company to do this? I had Tarheel Basement come out yesterday but I suspect that they quote super high and I've read some nightmare stories about them.

It's around 300 square feet. 3 driveway slabs to be jacked up and one stabilized. Also have a small piece of walkway that could use it too, which I forgot about until I tripped over it this morning..

THBS quoted me at 3,600 or so, which was quite a bit more than I was expecting, but honestly I have no clue what to expect for this type of job.

I'm in Troy. Thoughts?

Expect the qoute from Tarheel Basement to be SKY high. I got a quote from them to encapsulate my crawlspace. It was insane.

Expect the qoute from Tarheel Basement to be SKY high. I got a quote from them to encapsulate my crawlspace. It was insane.
Well thank God because I really wasn't interested in paying 3,600 for this. I'm not sure where to find any sort of company that does this work though. It seems somewhat specialized and most of the companies I'm finding are larger national outfits.

Anyone have any recommendations for a company to do this? I had Tarheel Basement come out yesterday but I suspect that they quote super high and I've read some nightmare stories about them.

It's around 300 square feet. 3 driveway slabs to be jacked up and one stabilized. Also have a small piece of walkway that could use it too, which I forgot about until I tripped over it this morning..

THBS quoted me at 3,600 or so, which was quite a bit more than I was expecting, but honestly I have no clue what to expect for this type of job.

I'm in Troy. Thoughts?
Probably just as easy and quick to rip it out and repour. A decent crew could have 300sqf ripped out and laid back down before lunch.

Is this that deal where they drill a hole and injext some kind of expanding polymer that fills in space udner the slabto push it back up?
This has always seemed to me like only a short term solution. There's no way that completely fills the void it creates and I'd think after years of freeze/thaw cycles etc, especially in any pressure points of parking etc you'd just have more cracks.

What's the cost of demo/repour vs the foam stabilization?

I'm not planning on being in this home much longer. 3 years tops. I'm not looking to spend a ton here, just fix the issue enough for me and let it ride for the next one to deal with later on.

What's the cost of demo/repour vs the foam stabilization?

I'm not planning on being in this home much longer. 3 years tops. I'm not looking to spend a ton here, just fix the issue enough for me and let it ride for the next one to deal with later on.
I’d bet it would be comparable to your repair quote. But you would need to shop around. When I had my patio poured a few years back. Granted prices have went up a lot. I was quoted from 3800 to 15k many in the 10-15range

Something to note, cheaper isn't always better on concrete. I got burned on my patio. It looks like crap. You live and you learn.
Knock on wood mines standing and looking good. I lucked up and got an old concrete man that does it on his time and says he just wants to do good work for a fair price. Said he couldn’t imagine charging like some others. I paid the truck 1800 and him 1800. Not bad money for a days work.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 24
Side note, is this a DIY level project if I demo/repour?

I'd hire the concrete guys but as far as demo and building out forms, I think I could accomplish that. I don't think the driveway is particularly stout.

Alternatively, what sort of company am I searching for when it comes to this type of work? Like anything with masonry/concrete in the name?

Last edited:
A friend just had concrete poured here, and I want to say it was $160/yd for just the concrete. Cost of removal and finishing would be on top of that.

A friend just had concrete poured here, and I want to say it was $160/yd for just the concrete. Cost of removal and finishing would be on top of that.
I buy 200+ yds a year so like to think I get some kind of bulk cash discount and pay 185 yd with fiber and now they charge a delivery fee on top of that. If you ask around you can find a white guy ex con crew or a decent Mexican crew that can do good work for decent price It's going to have a broom finish it's not a hard job, you could diy but I wouldn't recommend your driveway for your first concrete job. You're probably looking at 1500 plus disposal for the removal then finishing would depend on sq ft

Side note, is this a DIY level project if I demo/repour?

I'd hire the concrete guys but as far as demo and building out forms, I think I could accomplish that. I don't think the driveway is particularly stout.

Alternatively, what sort of company am I searching for when it comes to this type of work? Like anything with masonry/concrete in the name?
If you have to ask, no. Not unless you want it to look like crap. You're looking at 4 yards of concrete to bust up and haul off. That's around 16k lbs.

I need an encapsulation done , who'd you use?
I haven't had it done. After they came, I hired a civil engineer from a consulting group to come inspect my situation and he suggested starting off with blocking off the crawl space vents and adding a dehumidfier and seeing if that is enough. He didn't think my situation was that bad.

If you have to ask, no. Not unless you want it to look like crap. You're looking at 4 yards of concrete to bust up and haul off. That's around 16k lbs.
Sort of what I was thinking. I have a few other projects that would require concrete work and eventually I'll need to learn how. Simple walkways for those.

Back