Dual cases

TroubleMaker

Ok so last night i was looking for transfercase gear reduction and realized that i can get a second case for close to the same price as 4.7's so i might as well get all the options first then get the 4.7's later.

So right now i'm planing on getting the crawler box from Marlin so i'll have dual 2.28 cases, and i'm gonna twinstick my oringinal case aswell, so my options are 2h, 4hi, 4low, 4hi-hi, 4low-low, 4hi-low and 2 low. My question is what do i do with my new case while i'm driving on the street...put it in neutral?...thats what i guess i'm supposed to do. Next question is can i leave my crawler box in Hi while i drive on the street to give me added reduction, so i can put off new diff. gears? :confused: until i SAS this biotch

Just a note to think about - no driveshaft mods when you deep-gear a single case, nor do you need crossmember mods... That adds up, but I like the dual case idea more anyway for the flexability.

The crawler box stays in high on the road, which is 1:1.. doesn't give you any reduction. There really isn't a neutral anymore when you convert it into a crawler box. it's high or low.

ok, i guess i was thinking things were more complicated then they are, well i know that dual cases will be more expensive, but i planned on getting them later in my build up but i guess i'm looking at sooner then later. But i haven't gotten that far yet so i'm just researching

As usual, Rich is right. :)
The shifter for the front box only moves forward or back, 1:1 or 2.28:1. You COULD leave it in low, but by the time you got to your mailbox, and realized that you are already in 5th gear, you will want to stop and reconsider. :)

BTW, I went thru the same thing a few years ago, and decided to do the dual cases first. I think it was the right decision. :)

I just installed the 4.7 kit from marlin. Like you I went back and forth about the duals. I finally decided that due to the extra cost of having the driveline cut and all that it was better at this point to just do the gears. Then when I complete the SAS and install the second box, I will have the driveline cut then.

i was at the same delima a while ago. i went with the 4.7s because i had to buy a v6 adaptor. in hind sight it was the best thing. once you pay for a dual cross member ( buds are awesome btw) , then u need the adapter, then u need a box, then drive shaft work. to me its wasnt all worth it for the option of dual cases. i am glad i went the route i did because it was cheaper and was just as beniffical in my eyes. i also did the twin stick which rendered itself useless to me. not one time wheeling did i wish i had it. or one time on the street. that money was wasted. just my .02 because i have done them both.

now i have duals with my 4.7s in the rear and it works well. but the 4.7's alone should be plenty for ya.

yeh, i would think that 4.7's would be enough pre-SAS but i was thinking that it would be one less thing to worry about during the SAS if i went ahead and got the duals, and the duals would be better off teh bat with a SAS then just 4.7's, this way i could wheel it sooner once the SAS is done and save up for the rear 4.7 gear-set.

Another thought, what do ppl do with thier old 2.28 gear sets?

I would go with the 4.7's first
then get the duals when you sas and if you can stand it on the street
don't regear until you get the sas done that way you save the cost of
gearing the front ifs. Or buy a used front already geared ifs third re gear
the rear. and get the gears for what ever sas front axle you'll be running.

then when you do the sas you can sell the ifs third to the next guy

you may find out while wheeling the 4.7's that you don't really even need
dual cases.

but it will at least save you the cost of drive line mods on the front shaft.
You have to do shaft work with the sas anyways why not save the extra cost
of doing it twice.

but hey if you can afford it the duals are sweet
and you get to keep your stock gears as well
the only extra cost will be modifying the front shaft again for the
sas when you get around to doing that.

I just got duals for mine can't wait to try them out.
I had my rear case prepped for 4.7's
so if I need lower than the duals will provide I can do it easily.

Back