Electric crate motors

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I need a new drive train for the overhaul on my 73 EB. I know some would find it sacrilege but if there was am affordable direct swap option I'd seriously consider it.

The motor and controls have never been an issue people have been putting electric motors in place of ic engines in cars and jeeps forever, it's getting a useful battery pack for anything more than a yard toy that will require the money and ingenuity.

Last edited:
The motor and controls have never been an issue people have been putting electric motors in place of ic engines in cars and jeeps forever, it's getting a useful battery pack for anything more than a yard toy that will require the money and ingenuity.

Hot wheels and Little Tykes run longer

Hot wheels and Little Tykes run longer
Depends on how the controller is set up. A Plaid running drag passes obviously isn’t going to get a lot of time from a battery but cruising around on back roads they do reasonably well.

A crawler with a driver unlike @Chris_Keziah and more like @CasterTroy would probably last all day.

I get it, there’s problems. Much like when cars first came about and all the horse folks poo pooed the automobile. Those problems will get solved though, big companies like Toyota wouldn’t be investing so much in the idea if it were insurmountable.

I love a good sounding V8 as much as anyone and what it does for your soul. I also love electric tech cause once you ride in an AWD Tesla you become a believer.

Depends on how the controller is set up. A Plaid running drag passes obviously isn’t going to get a lot of time from a battery but cruising around on back roads they do reasonably well.

A crawler with a driver unlike @Chris_Keziah and more like @CasterTroy would probably last all day.

I get it, there’s problems. Much like when cars first came about and all the horse folks poo pooed the automobile. Those problems will get solved though, big companies like Toyota wouldn’t be investing so much in the idea if it were insurmountable.

I love a good sounding V8 as much as anyone and what it does for your soul. I also love electric tech cause once you ride in an AWD Tesla you become a believer.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, it's just that to replicate that yourself in your own vehicle is literally not possible yet. Or even any time soon.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, it's just that to replicate that yourself in your own vehicle is literally not possible yet. Or even any time soon.
You’re right but I think soon folks will find kits beginning to pop up.

No gears or driveshafts or doublers to worry about. Just motors, big battery and some cables and silent fun. Not for everyone, I get it but it intrigues me for some reason….and I’m the guy who‘s had 9 Z28s, all extremely modded, 2 Corvettes extremely modded and more muscle cars than you can shake a stick at plus a couple of V8 swapped Wranglers back before it was popular.

Those problems will get solved though, big companies like Toyota wouldn’t be investing so much in the idea if they thought they had any choice.
FIFY.
It's not just that it's not an insurmountable problem, which is true, but that the writing is on the wall for the ICE. As much as we hobbyists hate it, there are way too many forces pushing against it as a standard and is doomed as a long term solution.

It's not just that it's not an insurmountable problem, which is true, but that the writing is on the wall for the ICE. As much as we hobbyists hate it, there are way too many forces pushing against it as a standard and is doomed as a long term solution.
We've covered this. There isn't enough electricity to make it happen.

NIMBY opposition to distribution improvements, too.
Yep, the fact that NIMBY is probably the greatest overall inhibitor to human progress is superbly ironic.

Not enough plutonium
Plutonium not required:
1629748916268.png

Back