Engine decision, LS1, 5.3, or 4bt?

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Well, I reluctantly decided to get rid of the SBF/propane setup and decided to go a different direction. This is still easily done in my buggy as I haven't gotten too far into setting up the engine, etc.

I have a Ford T18, which I am keeping. I know the LS1 and the 5.3 but I had the thought today about putting a 4bt in the buggy. The 4bt should be fairly easy as I have enough room and they came with Ford adapters.

The LS1 would be ideal, but the base price alone not including the computer/harness reworking is high and is putting it at the bottom of the list. Same with the 5.3 but it tends to be a little cheaper to purchase.

The 4bt seems like the easiest/cheapest route and would def. get the coolness factor over the LS1 or the 5.3. As of right now, the 4bt is at the top of the list.

For anyone that has done either or both, what would you recommend and why?

Thanks.

I've done neither, but it sure seems like everyone that's thrown a 4bt in their buggy has pulled it for a v8 something. If it were still a street driven rig, no doubt on the cummins. But if you're trying to do it on the cheap...why not think about a 5.8? Or even a stroked windsor. I love the ls series engines and the b series cummins, but for the cost of either (or half the cost)...you could have a very nice efi sbf. (351w based). Why did you decide to go away from the propane/sbf in the first place? Power? Cool factor? Fuel?

I still have the SBF in there and have a 351W sitting here. I went to propane for the ease of install and no computers, etc. But, am now reconsidering it a little and I am having a tough time mounting the propane bottles and still trying to find room for gear, etc. Mounting the tanks is being much more of a PITA than I originally expected.

Building the 351W is still an option (and prob. a more realistic option).

I guess since I've been thinking about the other options out there, I might as well get opinions on them before I completely commit one way or another.

The 4bt is heavy, about the same as a big block and has little throttle response and limited rpm range. Ask 91oneton about it.

that ford t18 is gonna suck balls with a high hp motor. You are not gonna be able to shift fast enough. Id stick with the smallblock ford if you already have it. Go with ho roller motor.

that ford t18 is gonna suck balls with a high hp motor. You are not gonna be able to shift fast enough. Id stick with the smallblock ford if you already have it. Go with ho roller motor.

yeah I thought about that as well, which was one of my reasons for the thought about the 4bt.

After more thought, it seems like it would be just as good and most affodable to just go through the 351W I have and EFI it.

I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but would be open to other suggestions if anyone has them.

Stroke the 351W to a 393, or stroke the 302 to a 347.

I'd ditch the T18 for a C6.

Come on to Sanford and pic up this 302. ha ha If you will be in situations where you only need the extra power now and then just hook up a 100 shot to it. I dont see where is is to much different from drag racing. The few guys I hang around are spraying theirs every other weekend with no problems. A couple of the shortblocks are 2 years old with stock cast internals not the 4340 items.

Yeah, I'm highly considering the 351W stroked option. That T18 is staying. I've always wheeled the manual trans and loved it. I'd say at least 1/2 of the autos I've seen on the trails have had problems. I'm sticking with the manual for reliability.

BTW, lets not make this into a manual vs. auto debate... my mind is made up on the T18 (plus I already have a good chunk of $$$ in it)

I liked the 4Bt's but they run out of RPM's quickly.They all seem to need another 500-1000 usable RPM's.

In this order 5.3, LS1, 5.3. As far as getting it running in a buggy, the wiring shouldn't be that bad. Jims Perfomance will take care of the harness.

the EFI I can deal with. trying to find a convenient place to mount two propane tanks in my buggy is the PITA, especially since I didn't originally build the buggy for the propane tanks.

After some more research, I'll prob. just stroke the 351W. It'll be the cheapest and least hassle.

Well, I'm off to Kansas. I'll pick this back up when I get back next week.

Thanks all.

Rob, this has been echoing in my head since I was building my buggy last year....

"I told you so" :flipoff2:

...when I was considering using propane for mine... I was told time and time again by people that EFI was the way to go, but I pressed on just like you. Finally one day after arranging and re-arranging LP tanks for a couple of hours trying to maximize storage space with not much luck, I said screw it and found an EFI motor... I haven't looked back since, and you won't either.

(I've got an extra fuel cell if you need it)

yeah, this is what I was thinking. With the limited space in the buggy, the tanks just aren't as user friendly as I'd hoped. So, now on to an EFI...

I may hit you up for that cell, but I want to look at my arrangement a little better. I may end up making one to fit the space I want to put it in.

oh yeah brandon, :flipoff2: :D I knew it was gonna happen

i think you should be able to find a 6.0 truck engine for less than $1000.
Just as an example i remember in one of my old super chevy mags, they got a 6 liter truck engine for something like $3-500 still running. put heads and a cam in it and it all came out to like 2100 i think.

they got a 6 liter truck engine for something like $3-500 still running

You can't base real world prices on what prices the mag guy's get stuff for,and it for sure wasnt a lo-mile engine for that.

Back