Engine swap trouble

93redzj

Heres the deal: Ive got an '81 FS bronco with a 302 in it, I pulled that 302 and replaced it with a 302 roller motor out of an '84 Mustang Gt. I took the flex plate, flywheel and torque converter off the Bronco motor to use it on the Mustang motor. The problem Ive having now is that the torque converter wont fit into the back of the crank on the mustang motor. Is there a way to fix this? Can I just get a torque converter from a mustang of that same year? Thanks for the help

Take the pilot bearing out the back of the crank. Was the car a 5 speed if so thats the problem. 289, 302, 351, 460 all use the same torgue convertor pilot so this might be the problem.

I guess I failed to mention that ive taken the pilot bearing out. Sorry. Im not sure what the mustang was, a friend of mine just saw the pilot bearing in the back of the crank and told me what it was for and that I needed to remove it, so I did.

Did you get your problem fixed?

You say you have a Roller cam engine. Roller cams were only in '85 and newer HO blocks. They have a 50oz. counter balance on the flywheel and harmonic balancer. The '81 will be an earlier 28oz. balance. If you mix and match you will end up with a vibration in the engine. I'd double check everything before I buttoned it up.

I havent had time to mess with the Bronco between work and school, so no I havent got it fixed, I bought the motor off ebay, it just said it was out of a '84 Mustang GT and that it was a roller motor so I cant verify that it is or not. I heard about the balance issue on fullsizebronco as well, thanks for the tips though.

Back