Exhaust & fuel line routing...how close?

spraypaintman

How close is too close for the exhaust pipe to be next to the fuel lines? Right now my fuel lines are really close to the exhaust pipe near the frame rail. Maybe within 2-3 inches.

Yeah, or maybe inside the exhaust pipe. :flipoff2:

That's closer than I'd be comfortable with..
Ya could build a little heat shield...

I'm assuming you have exhaust pipes down both sides?

Man I ran my fuel lines up the opposite side of the buggy than the exhaust.Not because I was worried about fire but it just worked out better that way.I would say the as long as the fuel lines dont get close to the exhaust right at the manifold/header area you should be good with 3-5 inches.......if its closer to 3 I might use some of that header wrap or the likes :huggy:

personally i would run the exuast on the other side of the vehicle. less chance of fire, or any other problems

We design with a minimum distance of 5" to exhaust piping for anything electrical or fuel related here at work. 3-5" requires heat shielding and testing or proof of similar testing. Closer than 3" is not allowed.

Ok, thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll run the fuel lines on the opposite site of the exhaust since I don't have duals.

A couple of years ago, I ran into a guy broke down on the side of RML up at UNF. It was some kind of bastardized K5 blazer. His fuel lines were right next to the exhaust, and everytime the engine/exhaust got warmed up, it would vapor lock and die. I'd agree with what has been said already. You should try to keep fuel lines on the opposite side of the rig if at all possible.

JH

JeepinHank said:
A couple of years ago, I ran into a guy broke down on the side of RML up at UNF. It was some kind of bastardized K5 blazer. His fuel lines were right next to the exhaust, and everytime the engine/exhaust got warmed up, it would vapor lock and die. I'd agree with what has been said already. You should try to keep fuel lines on the opposite side of the rig if at all possible.

JH

lol you forgot to mention how we fixed that one on the trail...

custom exhasut insulation from empty beer cans. :beer:

"drink up son we are blockin the trail"

Back