exhaust shop needed in piedmont triad area

NCarolina910

Hey guys. I'm located in Lewisville (just west of Winston-Salem) and I'm in need of an exhaust shop... well, without a stick up their ass. Every shop I go to or call won't touch my 1988 F150. I'm trying to have true dual exahust run without catalitic converters, just glasspacks. I have even tried giving the shop a pair of used cats borrowed from a friend to put on the truck which I could then cut off and replace with pipe but even then they would not do it saying that the cats they put on have to be brand new "according to law." Does anyone know a shop who will do work on a vehicle that is not exactly "emmissions friendly." I really need some help here guys and I'm not opposed to doing a little driving to get this done. Thanks.

-Bryan

Hey,

i didn't realize there were any implications for a shop if they didn't install cats on a vehicle. what's to say i'm not using my vehicle for strictly offroad use or am building a show truck and want some custom exhaust done? seems to me, that i as the end user should be the one responsible for work done to my vehicle and whether or not it will pass inspection should i want to drive it on the road, not the shop.

all that aside, there are shops around that will do exhaust work w/o cats. i don't have cats on my CJ. they had been removed by some previous owner. i didn't put them back on mainly because a CJ5 running true duals doesn't have much room for mufflers, much less 2 cats. and plus the expense of buying 2 cats. but inspection time is a hassle.

last note, why glasspacks??? i considered going that route with my 360 V8 CJ5, but finally decided to get a set of FM original 40s. soooo glad i did. they sound wicked w/o being obnoxiously loud.

later,
bigmac

I can't see how the cats need to be new in order to be installed, but it sounds like they know what you have in mind.

But what the hell is wrong with having a cat, anyway? It's not like they rob you of power like the old ones did..

^^^ I am wondering the same thing. You can buy free-flow cats that have zippos restriction, are cheap, and are still doing yourart for the ozone for about $30.

But, the guy to try is Scott at Scott's Muffler.
It's a bit of a hilke from Lewisville (I live off Lewisville-Vienna Rd) but worth it. He's down off of 150, about 1/2 way to Lexington maybe. Pretty sure its in the phonebook.
Quite literall ya backyard deal, his shop is in his back yard in a residential area in the middle of nowhere. BUT, he does fabulous work and alot of the "local boys" know him. He used to race cars and reitred from it to do metal/exhaust fabrication.

Here's what I'd do. Get your hands on a buddy and a trailer, and trailer it down there, or at the least in/out of his shop. That way he can deny any liability as it was not an on-road vehicle. Explain that this is an off-road only vehicle starting now, so you aren't worried about emisions and street rules. I'm sure he knows "the drill" but he can't be seen letting it go out his door illegally.

good suggestion.

everytime i need exhaust work done on a vehicle and it won't be legal, i remove the plate and trailer it up there claiming it as an offroad vehicle only that i just bought (hence the inspection sticker that's not yet expired on the windshield).

Now if you do that, how are you gonna pass inspection with those loud ass glass packs??????
I don't have to worry about passing inspection.
If I can just get this exhaust work done I'll be ok.
As you said to me in your PM (and I see my error) posting things on public forum about skirting the law is not the best, so I'll just leave it at "I don't have to worry about getting someone to inspect my truck."
Thanks for your PM rbo.

I can't see how the cats need to be new in order to be installed, but it sounds like they know what you have in mind.
But what the hell is wrong with having a cat, anyway? It's not like they rob you of power like the old ones did..
I don't understand why either, the guy just told me they couldn't be used and had to be new out of the box. When asked what the deal was all he would say was "EPA laws." I'm sure this sounds hardheaded, but the thing that's wrong with having a cat is that I just can't see paying a lot of extra money (and those things are stupidly expensive) for something I don't feel I need and personally don't want. My reasonsing? I don't need them to pass inspection and I don't want them for sound reasons.

^^^ I am wondering the same thing. You can buy free-flow cats that have zippos restriction, are cheap, and are still doing yourart for the ozone for about $30.
But, the guy to try is Scott at Scott's Muffler.
It's a bit of a hilke from Lewisville (I live off Lewisville-Vienna Rd) but worth it. He's down off of 150, about 1/2 way to Lexington maybe. Pretty sure its in the phonebook.
Quite literall ya backyard deal, his shop is in his back yard in a residential area in the middle of nowhere. BUT, he does fabulous work and alot of the "local boys" know him. He used to race cars and reitred from it to do metal/exhaust fabrication.
Here's what I'd do. Get your hands on a buddy and a trailer, and trailer it down there, or at the least in/out of his shop. That way he can deny any liability as it was not an on-road vehicle. Explain that this is an off-road only vehicle starting now, so you aren't worried about emisions and street rules. I'm sure he knows "the drill" but he can't be seen letting it go out his door illegally.
Thanks for the info. As for those $30 cats, I'd love to know where I could find some. I might... MIGHT be willing to go that route, but probably not. As for that Scott guy, I'll have to give him a call after lunch.
About trailering my truck, the thought as already crossed my mind. I've got two friends with trailers. One's doesn't have a floor right now and the other would charge me for use. Completely understandable but I'm not really desperate enough pay for his time & gas AND exhaust work... yet.

If you're willing to Install Cats, call the Mieneke at Peters Creek and I-40 in Winston. Tim is the Manager and He's always found me good deals on Used Mufflers and Almost New Cats. Does good clean work to.

Most new cats come with a card that the shop fills out and mails in telling why the cat was changed. They are required by law to do this I think.

I bought a new highflow cat from ebay for about $35.

I can get cats all day at Perfection Muffler for $65, and there's no S&H charge. The old-school way of thinking, (too expensive, rob hp,) just doesn't fly anymore. I'm not going to get into the environmental implications here, that'll just start an arguement. The legal implications should be enough! We may not have emissions inspections anymore, but we still have to have all emissions control components intact on our vehicles. The inspector is supposed to do a visual inspection to make sure of that, and they should check for cats then. Should you get a picky inspector, it could make your life really difficult.

That said, the only excuse I can think of to not run a cat is "I'm just not a fan of low-end torque."

my theory about not running a cat....

"one less thing to break and later replace"

the difference in low end torque is meaningless... strap a vehicle with crappy hp, such as a jeep, on the dyno and test it before and after... it doesn't make enough difference to matter....

-Erik <--- not enviromentally friendly in all respects... this is one.

Not like a "true dual" exhaust gives any more power over a properly sized single... usually less, actually..

"True duals", no cat, you must hang out with a guy who hasn't been keeping up with the times since the 70's.

Back