Extensive Rusty Frame Repair??

albertzerok

I have a 99 TJ with extensive rust issues on the frame. Wondering on a shop who can do the work well and get it right, but not break my wallet.

The bottom and both sides of the frame has to be replace from above
the rear wheel forward control arm mount to the bottom of the curve.
From there the bottom of the frame has to be replaced up to the front
wheel rear control arm mount. I would assume the body mounts would
need to be take off, at least near the rear and then re-welded on with
the frame rebuilt under neath.

It's a fair amount of work, and it's questionable if the jeep is worth
the cost to get the welding done. I am flexible on the time it takes
to get it done as I have another vehicle.

Attachments

• 2014-03-13 05.34.00.jpg
    2014-03-13 05.34.00.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 456
  • 2014-03-13 05.32.18.jpg
    2014-03-13 05.32.18.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 490
We have done a lot of frame repair on Jeeps.

But...

If the frame is bad enough, Its not economically feasible to try to fix it. And it is usually worse than you can see since they rust from the inside! This case usually ends up being cheaper and, of course, better to find another frame and swap em out!

Unfortunately Ol' Jeeps, this particular Jeep is not gonna be worth the time and money to replace the frame due to high mileage, overall wear and tear, and the huge amount of rust throughout the Jeep. We were scheduled to repair the frame but when we got looking at it I called the customer to get him to swing by and decide what he wanted to do since it was worse than I originally figured. Once I started really getting into the inspection, I wanted him to figure out if he wanted to spend the money on it or not. He decided to take it home so he could discuss it with his wife, etc. I estimate at least 20+ hours because of the extent of the damage and that does not address the rest of the rust.

Jeremy, we will still be happy to repair it for the best price we can if you decide to go through with the repair instead of selling it in favor of something with less damage.......

Thanks!

Andy at Tarheel has done amazing work for me in the past, always kept me happy. Wife says I gotta check options. (At this point, I think I have more of a wife problem than a jeep problem.)

Andy is straight up and has been around for a couple days.
I am sure you can find someone to fix it cheaper (There was a shop in Boone a while back that had some frame repair experience) but really when it comes to extensive rust repair to a frame, safety and health should dictate that quality takes first preference.

Edit:

That is not intended to say Ol' Jeeps (above) wouldnt take great care of you as well. Scott is a good guy, also very experienced and talented. Couldnt go wrong with either one really.

Bring it to my house and it can sit next to my xj that i've been slowly cutting the floors out of. I can say with experience you better be in love with a vehicle to even bother with rust removal and even then it really is hard to justify. Luckily mine was all floor and not frame. i couldn't imagine dealing with frame issues from a safety standpoint. I'm using my situation more as a chance to learn welding. At least that's what I keep telling myself. LOL

Back