External USB ZIP DRIVE

Blkvoodoo

professionally useless
Anyone have a EXTERNAL 100mb USB ZIP drive I could use for a day or so ?

I have several ZIP discs that I have for my old PC that have pix and other stuff on them that I would like to burn to DVD.

Problem is, my old machine is a PC, Win98 with issues, no burner,internal ZIP and not enough processor (300mhz Pen2) to run the DVD burner I have for the Mac. (it is USB 1.0 and I have no way to load a driver for USB 2.0 on this machine, no networking card to hook into the broadband hub, not to mention it hasn't had any virus/spyware updates in 2.5 years)

current machine is a MAC, so without a lot of reconfig that I am not knowledgeable about, I can't network together ( nor is it cost effective to do so)

An external USB 100mb ZIP drive would be the ticket.

my next option is to move everything off the zips to a 1Gig flash media card on the PC then move to the MAC this way. I don't know that I could wait for the PC to process all this. ( I remember the day when I thought this thing was fast, even some of my old geek friends agreed)

If someone has a wireless card for a PC, I guess I could peer to peer if the Win98 would handle it (and someone walked me thru the config).

Can anyone help ?

Kevin

I think I still have a USB to ethernet convertor that should work well on a Win98 machine... Want me to look for it?

hmm, this would let me connect to the cable hub thru USB port.

if ya got time, may as well see what demons I can raise with this thing, it hasn't been plugged in for 2 years

Be interesting to see what I can do with it. ( scary thought in itself)

Kevin

Too bad yer not nearby, I have an old parallel port ZIP drive you could borrow as long as you'd like- I never use it.

Going back to maybe making use of that DVD burner - I assume you can burn CDs too - Understand the driver problem - but why not download one to a floppy or CD, use that to install the USB driver and go from there.

RatLabGuy said:
Too bad yer not nearby, I have an old parallel port ZIP drive you could borrow as long as you'd like- I never use it.

Going back to maybe making use of that DVD burner - I assume you can burn CDs too - Understand the driver problem - but why not download one to a floppy or CD, use that to install the USB driver and go from there.

Macintosh don't use parallel port, havn't for years (ever? )

most of the info I have/need to transfer is already on ZIP, USB External ZIP would be a plug and play deal on the MAC, grab what I need and not even mess with the PC.

Thanks for the offer though !!!!

Kevin

I've got one.

Wait, any chance you have an old SCSI port? I also have an external ZIP SCSI drive - you can HAVE it, I'll mail it if you want - I'll never use it

Back