Finally a Diesel.. CTD, W250.. Dyno'ed again

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Hey all,

Yes I have finally switched to a Diesel..

'92 250, 4x4

Well this truck does have some things that need to fixed which I am fine with.. but while getting a list of all fluids and types to use when changing them all. I came across some things I am not sure of..

I want to changed:
- gear fluid - NO big deal
- change oil - No big deal just get oil rated for diesel
- radiator fluid - No big deal
- Transfer case- No Big deal

BUT Getrag Transmission Fluid is my concern - all I can find on other websites is to use:
SAE 5W-30 engine oil, By the way I do add 1 quart more than what the manual calls for.

Does Engine oil sound correct.. I just had to ask casue it seems weird to me.. BUt hey what do I know

Yes, add one extra quart to the Getrag from what the manual says. I believe you have to add it from the top, by taking out the shifter. The engine oil, i would go with 15-w40 shell rotela. Lets see some pics.

Well I must admit when I was reading the didge forums I was very very surprised to hear engine oil..

Ya I also read about that extra quart thing...

If I can get home before dark someday I will take some pics..

Make sure to use *synthetic* motor oil in that trans. The Getrag needs all the help it can get. You should put in 5 quarts total.

You can fill it by putting the truck on enough of an angle that the 5 quarts can be added through the normal fill plug, or pull the shifter (which I have heard is not exactly easy), or fill though the top bolt hole on one of the PTO covers, if you have something small enough to squirt it through that hole.

It wouldn't surprise me.. All of my Honda's manual trannies called for 5w-30 as well.

I'm sorry Ken, i didn't mean 15-40 in the trans. I realize now that is what you were asking about.

Ok I raced home to see if I could beat the darkness and get some pics..

So here is the best I could get.

Attachments

• dodge 003.jpg
    dodge 003.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,005
  • dodge 002.jpg
    dodge 002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 913
Well we had a little fun this weekend..

We put in a New master cylinder, air filter, fuel filter, changed oil, changed tranny fluid, new power steering pump, some new hoses, new wheel cylinder, cleaned engine bay and drove it to Burlington and back ... man this thing has some pulling power..

While in Burlington we put it in 4 wheel drive hocked up a truck just on leaf springs and when i took off i could not even tell there was anything behind it :)

then of course it got stuck in 4 low :( so we got under truck and found out the problem stupid little locking pin popped out. so all is better now...

I think it needs and alignment but for the 1st run it ran very very well..

StudNuts said:
Cool Deal. Now bring it over and ill hook up some stacks and an intake

If I did not have the bed camper I would so consider stacks :)

BRUISER said:
While in Burlington...
= at my house. ;)

BRUISER said:
then of course it got stuck in 4 low :( so we got under truck and found out the problem stupid little locking pin popped out. so all is better now...

The T-case linkage popped off the cross-bar between the 2 shift rails on the NP205 because there was no cotter pin in it. I robbed one off the auto trans shifter linkage on a parts K5, and it fit perfectly. :driver:

ajbirken said:
Damn is that the triangle asphalt truck?
I've been eyeing that one.

Yes it was...

Are you serious???

lol, i'd heard wind of that truck too then. hadn't seen it though.

BRUISER said:
Yes it was...
Are you serious???

Sadly enough I am serious. Some of the guys that worked for them used to park it in my old neighborhood. I actually called a few times to make an offer when they were getting rid of it. I guarantee that it would have been a ridiculously low offer since I am a cheap SOB.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for it? I have been shopping the 90-93 dodge trucks and most seem to go between 5-7K even with 200+ miles.

ajbirken said:
Sadly enough I am serious. Some of the guys that worked for them used to park it in my old neighborhood. I actually called a few times to make an offer when they were getting rid of it. I guarantee that it would have been a ridiculously low offer since I am a cheap SOB.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for it? I have been shopping the 90-93 dodge trucks and most seem to go between 5-7K even with 200+ miles.

PM sent

Well to add to all the parts I have fixed here is some more :)

My steering was very very sloopy so the first thing I fixed was th epower steering pump since that was worn out... and then I found the stock "u-joint" thing that connects to the steering box was very bad also..

well this past weekend I took it apart and what would ya know when I unbolted it .. the entire inside fell apart.. glad I Stopped driving it until I could fix it..

Well tonight I finally fixed it..

took a little custom work but all in all I am no longer woried about driving off the road :)

here is a pic when finished but before paint

Attachments

• dodge 012.jpg
    dodge 012.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 695
Well the stock Shifter would not stay on and kept vibrating and making noise so I decided hell why not make a cool one (well atleast to me)

I really wanted something that had a rounded top so it was comfortable on the plam of my hand...

so I started looking around shop and what would ya know..
I had a Skull Bobble head laying in the corner..

So I took that apart and then I used some Gorilla glue and glued 2 nuts inside of it..

and here is final product

dodge 019.jpg

dodge 022.jpg

dodge 023.jpg

dodge 028.jpg

nice. steering shaft issues (rag joint) are very notorious problems on basically all pre 94 trucks. i've personally owned 3, worked on/driven dozens more and all of them have suffered from it. even with low mileage.

BRUISER said:
My steering was very very sloopy...
Well tonight I finally fixed it..

Is the steering wheel right-side-up now when you're driving straight? :)

Hey - I'll try to give you a call today. I have a question about the electrical wires to those solenoids on the injection pump. I want to see if mine is wired correctly.

Back