First time at Freeman Park

lugnut

I am planning at camping trip to Freeman Park and I have never camped there before. Anyone have any tips, tricks or things I need to watch out for? Any advice for a first timer

Assuming you've already read up on the rules, fees, etc. so won't bore you or others with that.

A lot of folks camp close to the dune, and get eaten alive by bugs. Closer to the water, more wind and less bugs. YMMV. If going closer to the water, pay attention to where the high tide line formed the night before and pick up a tide chart at one of the local stores - read it and know what it means, and you'll stand a chance to stay dry. Note that depending on the weather, your tent may get wet anyway. Plan for it, and keep things in vehicle, up off floor, etc. as needed. An alternative is down at the end, right at Snow's Cut, but it gets crowded and draws a different crowd on Fri/Sat/Holiday nights. Others have good luck there. Depends on what you're looking for!

If I recall correctly, somebody got run over in a tent a while back at night. Not a regular thing, but it does pay to think about vehicle/tent placement.

If you're comfortable driving in sand, no worries on tire pressure. If not, air down. Only real rough spot is right at the entrance - seen many vehicles buried to the frame within 20 ft. of the end of the pavement! 100% of the time, they did something dumb. Like didn't actually have 4x4 engaged...

It's a great park, always interesting people watching, sometimes good fishing, very different from other areas - enjoy!

Don't accidently leave any food out, the seagulls will find you and that will result in a very rude awakening. Forget about trying to not have sand on you/in your bag at bed time. Lots of memorable times out there camping and the good always outweighed the bad, enjoy!

I have read the rules and got the permit. We have driven out there a couple of times but never camped. Just looking more for local knowledge/tips. So the farther down you go the wilder the crowd gets? I hadn't considered my tent getting ran over, I'll try to park so the truck is kinnda blocking it. I plan to keep any food not in the cooler in a big rubber maid box. Hopefully that will work. I know a flock of gulls can pretty much kill a good day at the beach.

So the farther down you go the wilder the crowd gets?
You can only camp after a certain point on the beach, you probably read that. The fact is, you never know who will end up near you and want to stay up all night no matter where you are. Some people do that on the very end many times due to fishing in the inlet at night.

I know not to leave any valuables in the tent but if we make a run to the store etc. should someone stay behind and guard the tent and chairs?

Same here, no theft issues. Even on the most crowded days, you'll find your neighbors left and right to be friendly folks - otherwise you'd have moved... :) Most folks look out for each other on the beach. It's a 4x4 place first, which gives everyone a common bond, at least in my experience. There's also a police presence that has a good effect.

Back