Ford 6.0L diesel good bad ugly let hear it..

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Looking at various trucks/vans and the newer ones have the 6.0L diesel..

What's good bad and ugly about them?

Do they have bottom end issues? or can the problems be fixed/repaired ?

Any info appreciated..

I would buy one in a heartbeat, knowing that i had a $4000 bill coming up to do that head studs.... but you can find them at a good enough deal to cover that cost.

Good - power, mileage, transmission and cheap because of bad rep
Bad - mainly egr system, head bolt/gasket, high press oiling
Many companies availabe for fixes - 0ne of the best is www.bulletproofdiesel.com

Also, Know of 2005 F550 2wd, auto, cab chassis long wb with 11ft utility body, 170ish k miles, running but leaking H2o (probably head gasket) at steal for $6000

Thanks, I've been reading as much as I can so.....

Is the head gasket studs something that can't be done at home ?

It seems almost all of it has to come out to correct several of the common problems...

Sadly the prices on them are almost that much less, but with lower overall mileage than a 250k 7.3 engine...

Take cab/front clip off in one piece (is built so it's easy to remove , cab bolts from bottom, a lot of quick disconnects) do all repairs/up grades with engine in frame

You're right, 7.3 are bringing good money nowadays, I've got one with 361k - original engine! Running, pulls great!

Got nice, 2000 F250, 7.3, 109k miles on here for sale

They aren't that bad really. Maintenance is your friend. Oil change at 5000 miles fuel filters every 20000. Use only motorcraft filters. I've got 191000 miles on mine daily driving it and pulling 19000 lbs combined truck, trailer, and wheeling rig at least once a month.

I've been tuned since 11000 miles and I'm on the stock head gaskets and bolts. Egr has been blocked since then too. I had one egr cooler die, that's all I can blame on Ford. With a crazy hot tune and driving like an ass though I've killed 11 injectors till I figured out I was loosing fuel pressure, smoked a clutch, and melted down one turbo. I blame all of those problems on my dumb ass, and since the race tune came out and the tow tune went in two years ago I've not had a problem since.

I've had 2 6.0L and would buy another one tomorrow!

The previous one was fixed under warranty (head gaskets and turbo) and to this day it still runs good.

The current 6.0 is fantastic! I have an intake on it and exhaust and it flat out moves for just the small amount of mods and gets decent mileage considering it weighs 9klbs.

I have 202k on my 6.0, bought it at 106k last Feb, changed the oil like 3 times (yep, only 3 times using Rotella T), cleaned the air filter once, checked the trans fluid once (thats right, checked it once in 94k miles...), put on 2 sets of brakes and 1 unit bearing. Thats it in the 94k miles I've owned it! And it keeps running strong. I drive it like it owes me $$$ and haul with it all the time. No EGR issues, turbo issues, never changed fuel filters, or trans fluid..., it just keeps going and going... I commute 225miles everyday and it rides good (considering its a F350...) and is comfortable. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I was always determined to never buy a 6.0 but the last 2 I owned have been fantastic.

I just bought an 06 6.0 F-350 in july and it had 115k on it i was getting about 19.5 mpg i changed my oil and fuel filters and it went up to about 23 and just ordered an afe intake for it. i love it runs great. no problems at all in the 5,000 i've put on it since i bought it. tows well and i dd it. i was always against getting one than i went out on a limb and bought one and love it

The current 6.0 is fantastic! I have an intake on it and exhaust and it flat out moves for just the small amount of mods and gets decent mileage considering it weighs 9klbs.

Weren't you having turbo problems in Spartanburg?

I loved mine and would buy another.

I had injector problems but that was my fault for using a tune that my fuel system could not support. I replaced all my EGR stuff while I was fixing the injector issue. My 2003.5 had the ICP Sensor behind the motor. I had to replace it and what a pain. In 04 they moved it to the valve cover. I had a bigger turbo,exhaust, intake, and SCT tune. Truck ran high 8's in the 1/8th mile. Eric @ Inovative Diesel has the best tunes and First Coast Diesel Performance had the best full EGR delete kit(modified intake manifold). It walked a stock/mild 7.3 ALL DAY LONG

Weren't you having turbo problems in Spartanburg?
Yeah...then he listened to me. Stomp on it til it squeals....slow to idle and do ir again...lol

i also had good luck with my 6.0 242k and the only maint was egr/oil cooler...then tree fell on it and crushed it...would buy another tomorow
buy it..... bulletproof it..... done

I guess I have the good and ugly covered.
Bought an 03 in 03 that ford bought back...turbo, heads, head studs, injector, turbo again, blah blah blah....all in less than 30k miles.
Nowi Gage an 07 with 150k and it seems to be ok.

Have to do your maintenance.
Stock is sweet IMO
Why can't you do heads at home? The cab has to come off to get the heads off. I know a guy locally that does it for 2k for studs and gaskets...not the 4500 horror stories I read.

Motor craft patented their oil filter design and all replacements ( fram, wix, fleetgard, etc.) have the potential to starve your engine.
The 07 have a different turbo than any other year.they seem to have no problems.
Ficm is a joke and will fail eventually...keep fresh batteries in the damn thing helps keep it alive.

Mike,

I had an 05 F250 with the 6.0 that I bought new. I put about 45,000 miles on it before I sold it and never had a day of trouble with the engine. It was bone stock, no exhaust, no chips, and pulled my TJ like a champ.

Where to start on the ugly, well first the cab has to come off for head work, that should be enough bad for you not to buy one. If not then here you go. Lots of egr problems, injectors, high pressure oil pump, cam position sensor, head gasket (due to egr), turbo, they had the worst hand calculated fuel mileage of the 3 diesels of those years.

Even ford mechanics will tell you not to buy one due to the many recalls and problems they have. So if you buy one definatly be prepared for atleast the head gaskets. IIRC its listed as a 24 hour job in the book so be prepared for that bill. Adding power (programmer, ect.) will make it happen sooner, its not if its when it when. Also when you are looking and see the prices are cheaper on the ford compared to the other two think about why, you might be buying a problem that someone else dont want to deal with.

Also when you are looking and see the prices are cheaper on the ford compared to the other two think about why, you might be buying a problem that someone else dont want to deal with.

Or it might be that they outsold the other makes COMBINES 2.7:1...supply vs demand and all.

Dont get me wrong the 6.0 is a corporate joke...but its not the anti-christ either.
I see an awful lot of 125k 5.9s come in with major isues caused by shitty owners.

I have had 3 trucks with the 6.0s
A-- 03--03--and a 06
Ford bought both the 03 and 04 Back
Each to his own but
I will not Buy are trade for anythikng with a 6.0 in it
I think if you just use them to ride in-- they maybe OK
But will not hold Up Pulling heavy Loads
I will say the 06 never give any Trouble But it only had 15,000 miles on it when i got rid of it
Just my 2 cents

I agree that they outsold everything else but that dont mean its the right thing to buy. Only point im trying to make is the 6.0 has more factory recalls and major known problems than any other diesel. Hell that motor is the reason for the demise of the ford and international partnership, all be it fords fault but it was.

Also you stated because of shitty owners. That can be the problem with any diesel, i wasnt really talking about something someone had modified, im just stating you might be getting something someone started having problems out of and is tired of dealing with.

I will suggest all day long to buy a cummins, but that is your own preference, i just want anyone that is looking to really look hard at all the facts. Another thing to do, this is if you like to work on your own vehicle which i suspect you do since you are on this site, go buy a few diesel performance shops and just talk to the guys. Ask them what they would rather work on and which is easier to work on and less expensive. I know the exact answer from every mechanics mouth, the only reason they like a powerstroke is it will make them more money.

I agree that they outsold everything else but that dont mean its the right thing to buy. Only point im trying to make is the 6.0 has more factory recalls and major known problems than any other diesel. Hell that motor is the reason for the demise of the ford and international partnership, all be it fords fault but it was.
Also you stated because of shitty owners. That can be the problem with any diesel, i wasnt really talking about something someone had modified, im just stating you might be getting something someone started having problems out of and is tired of dealing with.
I will suggest all day long to buy a cummins, but that is your own preference, i just want anyone that is looking to really look hard at all the facts. Another thing to do, this is if you like to work on your own vehicle which i suspect you do since you are on this site, go buy a few diesel performance shops and just talk to the guys. Ask them what they would rather work on and which is easier to work on and less expensive. I know the exact answer from every mechanics mouth, the only reason they like a powerstroke is it will make them more money.

Definitely not trying to start an argument, Lord knows I am as big a Cummins fan as you will find....especially since they pay the bills.
No doubt that a CTD is easier to work on especially in the 12V and 24V era after that...neither is "easy".

My point about less numbers was this, more sold new equals more sold used, more sold equals a lower price.

Looks like I'm getting an '06 My plan is to head stud it and also address any other issues while in there. So with that:

What are the pros/cons of an EGR delete? I've read so much BS on the web about check engine lights and failing inspections etc..

What are the other major items to address with a rig tore down that far?
New Water Pump, Belts.
Coolant filter, Coolant, t-stat

Rear Oil pump?

Pros/Cons of separate oil cooler?

Just pulled the top end off my brothers 6.0 to do an EGR delete kit and oil cooler. This was a HUGE pain in the ass. Look at spending roughly 24 hours doing that swap yourself if you replace the oil cooler. He had previously blocked the EGR from exhaust gases with a freeze plug but the the cooler still cracked. I would suggest the sinister diesel kit. This could all be done at once with the head gaskets and save alot of time and money. He already had ARP studs and had his head gaskets done at 120k miles. He is now at 240k miles.

My old 6.0 was a nightmare, but I drove it hard. Replaced turbo, heads, headgaskets 3 times, EGR, a rear ring and pinion (fords fault), etc.

Just my take. My brother is the biggest stickler fir maintenance ever and his truck runs very very well. But don't think it still wont have some issues.

Thanks for the info, thats why I'm going in planning to fix the known issues.

Will the EGR deletes throw a check engine light/code?

Anyone in an NC emissions county fail with a delete ?
-- Hell I wonder if they could they even see it if they tried to look for it.

my dad has a bunch of 6.0 trucks and theyve all been good trucks considering what we put them through, his personal truck is a 2005 f250 fx4 it has 290k miles the only time it needed maitnence other than filter changes was he had to get new glowplugs and the egr delete and injectors rebuilt,
he has a 2006 f550 4x4 with a atkins bed and we regulary tow 35,000 combined weight with it and it has had no problems we had problems with the 07 f350 but it has a hot tune and i pull a 42' gooseneck camper but it get 14mpg pulling it

Thanks for the info, thats why I'm going in planning to fix the known issues.

Will the EGR deletes throw a check engine light/code?

Anyone in an NC emissions county fail with a delete ?
-- Hell I wonder if they could they even see it if they tried to look for it.
By law it would fail in every county because it doesn't have all the emission items that came on it....

Back