Ford 6.2 or 7.3 F250?

Jeffncs

I’ve ruled the 6.7l diesel out for multiple reasons.

I have an order built and just submitted it to Ford, but wondering if I chose the wrong engine. I ordered the 7.3 but am now thinking the 6.2 has more than enough capacity for my current and future needs.

Current use is pulling a 16’ trailer loaded out to a gross weight of 7000#. My F150 5.0 handles that fine, but I definitely know it’s back there. Future use is a longer (max 10k capacity), potential bumper pull camper or enclosed trailer. The 6.2 is rated at 12500#; the 7.3 is rated at 15000#.

Should I drop the $2000 optional 7.3 engine? Seems like way more than I need, but seeking some advice.

CLRracer

Mopar Nut
@ghost has a 7.3, and a thread about it in chit chat. I don't recall him saying anything negative about it. I've also never been driving a truck, especially towing something, and going "man I wish I had a smaller motor in this thing....."

Duane

ghost

I love mine. I wanted a Tremor but could not find one. I tow my Jeep, 65xx on the trailer, and it’s great compared to my 09 F150. Flat land she is around 10 mpg with the Jeep. I have no complaints so far. Only 14k miles on a 2021.

ghost

Also. Sorry for the double post. The Windsor plant where they build the 7.3 announced a new 6.8 that will be built there. I think the 6.2’s days are numbered. Of course they claim the 6.8 is slated for the F150 and the Mustang.

Danger_Ranger

My 2014 F250 is 6.2 and according to the door sticker has 4.30 gears. It pulls what I need around just fine. But it sure likes to drink gas. I've haven't done a hand calculation yet, but according to the dash mpg it usually says around 10-11 mpg. So if the 7.3 is only 2 grand more and gets the same or better mpg, I would go for the 7.3.

Jeffncs

I'd go with the 6.7, otherwise you might as well just keep the F150.

Hey Matt…. I can’t bring myself to bite on the 6.7. I truly anf genuinely don’t need it. I barely need the F250 to start. The 6.7 is just too much and will force me to buy a massive trailer and a big ole camper. I’m gonna stick with the 7.3, but I DO appreciate the perspective!

CLRracer

Mopar Nut
Hey Matt…. I can’t bring myself to bite on the 6.7. I truly anf genuinely don’t need it. I barely need the F250 to start. The 6.7 is just too much and will force me to buy a massive trailer and a big ole camper. I’m gonna stick with the 7.3, but I DO appreciate the perspective!

The 7.3 can handle that too.

Duane

ssmith27856

I had a 7.3 and it towed my 24ft gooseneck and tj just fine. I had always wanted a cummins, so I traded recently and my first tow with it will be to GER next month! @ in2jeepn has 7.3 also.....They do great!

ghost

Ordered my F250 a week back…7.3 for me!

Thanks for the advice!
I'd be interested in how long it takes you to get it. From what I have read you will get a vin with a build date. Yes I'm considering ordering a new one in a year. There are quite a few options I wish this one had.

Jeffncs

@ghost

Im following orders on another site. The wait is directly linked to the number of chips required to build the truck and a few, key options that seem to slow things up beyond the already long wait. Estimates suggest 4-6mos on my XLT with a handful of options… nothing crazy.

Dealer (and forums align) that factory spray-in bedliner and the fifth wheel options add a bunch of time to the wait. I don’t need the hitch and will get LineX or similar locally.