Ford 6.2 or 7.3 F250?

Jeffncs

I’ve ruled the 6.7l diesel out for multiple reasons.

I have an order built and just submitted it to Ford, but wondering if I chose the wrong engine. I ordered the 7.3 but am now thinking the 6.2 has more than enough capacity for my current and future needs.

Current use is pulling a 16’ trailer loaded out to a gross weight of 7000#. My F150 5.0 handles that fine, but I definitely know it’s back there. Future use is a longer (max 10k capacity), potential bumper pull camper or enclosed trailer. The 6.2 is rated at 12500#; the 7.3 is rated at 15000#.

Should I drop the $2000 optional 7.3 engine? Seems like way more than I need, but seeking some advice.

@ghost has a 7.3, and a thread about it in chit chat. I don't recall him saying anything negative about it. I've also never been driving a truck, especially towing something, and going "man I wish I had a smaller motor in this thing....."

Duane

I love mine. I wanted a Tremor but could not find one. I tow my Jeep, 65xx on the trailer, and it’s great compared to my 09 F150. Flat land she is around 10 mpg with the Jeep. I have no complaints so far. Only 14k miles on a 2021.

Also. Sorry for the double post. The Windsor plant where they build the 7.3 announced a new 6.8 that will be built there. I think the 6.2’s days are numbered. Of course they claim the 6.8 is slated for the F150 and the Mustang.

I'd go with the 6.7, otherwise you might as well just keep the F150.

My 2014 F250 is 6.2 and according to the door sticker has 4.30 gears. It pulls what I need around just fine. But it sure likes to drink gas. I've haven't done a hand calculation yet, but according to the dash mpg it usually says around 10-11 mpg. So if the 7.3 is only 2 grand more and gets the same or better mpg, I would go for the 7.3.

I'd go with the 6.7, otherwise you might as well just keep the F150.

Hey Matt…. I can’t bring myself to bite on the 6.7. I truly anf genuinely don’t need it. I barely need the F250 to start. The 6.7 is just too much and will force me to buy a massive trailer and a big ole camper. I’m gonna stick with the 7.3, but I DO appreciate the perspective!

Hey Matt…. I can’t bring myself to bite on the 6.7. I truly anf genuinely don’t need it. I barely need the F250 to start. The 6.7 is just too much and will force me to buy a massive trailer and a big ole camper. I’m gonna stick with the 7.3, but I DO appreciate the perspective!

The 7.3 can handle that too.

Duane

I had a 7.3 and it towed my 24ft gooseneck and tj just fine. I had always wanted a cummins, so I traded recently and my first tow with it will be to GER next month! @ in2jeepn has 7.3 also.....They do great!

Ordered my F250 a week back…7.3 for me!

Thanks for the advice!
I'd be interested in how long it takes you to get it. From what I have read you will get a vin with a build date. Yes I'm considering ordering a new one in a year. There are quite a few options I wish this one had.

@ghost

Im following orders on another site. The wait is directly linked to the number of chips required to build the truck and a few, key options that seem to slow things up beyond the already long wait. Estimates suggest 4-6mos on my XLT with a handful of options… nothing crazy.

Dealer (and forums align) that factory spray-in bedliner and the fifth wheel options add a bunch of time to the wait. I don’t need the hitch and will get LineX or similar locally.

Back