Ford 8.8 Axle leaking gear oil

ghost

Ok so we noticed gear oil on the passenger rim. So the diff is leaking. Question is does this axle have seals on the shafts or does it seal at the diff like a front? It's a c clip axle so I was not sure on how these work. This is my first 8.8 in a vehicle. I've dealt with 9" and D60's but that is about it.

I believe there is a seal at the shafts, I get to re-do mine as I apparently didn’t install correctly and have diff fluid on the inside of the rim as well

I believe there is a seal at the shafts, I get to re-do mine as I apparently didn’t install correctly and have diff fluid on the inside of the rim as well
Yea just wondering if these have a press on bearing or what at the axle end. I've never been in this axle but to change the oil. I guess I should have tagged the axle guru... @Jody Treadway

The axle should slide right out once you remove the c clips. Then you'll see the seal and the bearing. They're in the end of the tube, if it's like most normal semi float axles....I assume it is.

Yup, drop the cover, remove wheels and tires, remove 8mm bolt to remove cross pin in the diff. Remove c clips and shafts.
Those 8mm cross pin bolts are prone to break, so watch out.

Back