Ford 9" Oiling and Drain ?s

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Dropped a back trussed, 5.12 + spool, disc'd 9" under the Moss recently.
To get the pinion & "shovel" (pinion guard) out of the dirt, decided to go double-Cardan driveshaft and point the pinion at TC output... 22* up.
This brings oiling concerns...

A few folks indicate they jack the arse-end WAY up, effectively "leveling" the chunk, and filling to fill hole... multiple quarts over stock capacity.
Others just overfill... assuming a gallon+ of gear oil will negate pinion bearing oiling issues...

Still debating on a drain plug... while I don't "want" to pull the chunk & mop the remaining 2qts of gear oil each time, but spider sense says of a bottom/rear drain plug is mega-vulnerable on a trail rig... am I over thinking this?

So, what are the collectives thoughts on the amount of gear oil, any "mods" to help pinion bearings, and potential drain plug?

1 of the axle seals is wet, along with the chunk, so have have new Set 20's & seals to go in, along with reusable "gasket", so happy to address any needs while down.

No matter the drain plug location, fill in the proper amount of oil the manufacturer recommends.

How often do you drain your diff ? Pulling the shafts and chunk in an offroad rig at least once a year is never a bad idea anyway. I don't see you changing the oil more often than that.

Agreed with @Bebop about pulling chunk to inspect.
But another option for a drain plug would be a guard around it. You can buy weld in bungs with a recessed allen bolt. Install it and then cut a 1/4" thick of heavy wall tube and weld around the bung as a guard. Kinda what Toyota does from the factory. Put it to the side a little so it's less prone to damage.
For filling, you can add a fill plug at whatever level you deem appropriate and make that the new fill line.

Last edited:
fill in the proper amount of oil the manufacturer recommends.
That's part of my crux! Recommended fill is 2.5 quarts, which assumes the low-pinion 9" is flat and not angled upward at 22*... which puts the pinon 4"-5" HIGHER, less likely to hold oil slung from ring?

I think you're over thinking it.
Just add a fill plug on top so you can dump the proper amount and send it.
"Proper amount" was also in question ;)
Why not a big fill plug up high and where you can look in to inspect. use a vacuum pump to pull fluid out?
Definitely a 2 birds/1 stone solution... should be much safer up high and be tons easier to vac, than thru the fill hole/and having to route around the internals to bottom?
Plus, I have a decent vac pump left over from doing oil changes on jetski...

Why not a big fill plug up high and where you can look in to inspect. use a vacuum pump to pull fluid out?

I do this with my toyota axles, although not as nice, cause toyota.... Also because toyotas have a habit of loosing ring gear teeth with sticky tires.

Attachments

• 74AF7870-1674-479A-86D7-3E6F35422D2F.jpeg
    74AF7870-1674-479A-86D7-3E6F35422D2F.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 117
Back