Forest Service to Host Meeting on Flintlock Valley Shooting Range

Scott@BigCreek

BigCreek.rocks
Forest Service to Host Meeting on Flintlock Valley Shooting Range

The U.S. Forest Service will host an informational meeting on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013, to discuss future management of Flintlock Valley shooting range in the Uwharrie National Forest.

The meeting will be held at the Garner Center, located at 210 Burnette Street, Troy, N.C. The meeting will begin at 11:00 a.m. and end by 1:00 p.m. All persons interested in discussing proposed changes to the operation and management of the shooting range are invited to attend.

910-576-6391

Anybody planning on going. I am really thinking about it myself. Wife even says she wants me to go.

I am just wondering if they are going to listen. Guess only one way to find out eh ?

Only way for them to listen is to be informed of how the public stands. I would love for the range to open, have a place to shoot my rifle.

Anybody planning on going. I am really thinking about it myself. Wife even says she wants me to go.
I have a 4WD-101 class Saturday. Sounds like they are partnering with the NC Wildlife and a paid employee from the Wildlife will be on-site, 40 hours per week. Like a 9 to 5. Not come shooting from sun-up to sun-down as before. They are spending well over 100k and totally rebuilding. It will be nice!

One problem was the rounds coming in on the trail system... IMHO because people were shooting to far from the "earth wall!"

Fantastic news! Wish I had known a bit earlier about the meeting - my fault for not keeping tabs on new posts. Please let us know what we as clubs or individuals can do to support a re-opened range. Not just to rationalize opening it, but how we can keep it open by volunteering, running competitions, etc. to promote the continuing usage.

Well, I screwed up badly. I swore it said 3 pm and would have been good for that, but it was not at 3 pm but at 11 am. So i missed it. Went over and looked over the rock garden and had a friend in a cruiser try it out. His tires were pretty smooth though. Then went and spent some time with Janet.

Well, I screwed up badly. I swore it said 3 pm and would have been good for that, but it was not at 3 pm but at 11 am. So i missed it. Went over and looked over the rock garden and had a friend in a cruiser try it out. His tires were pretty smooth though. Then went and spent some time with Janet.
Looked for you. Maybe I'll catch you at the next gathering.

You want the long version, abbreviated, with or without commentary?

There were two meetings held by the USFS. The Friday evening meeting was held at the Eldorado Community Center and mostly attended by the local land owners. I did not attend that one but I pretty much know what the sentiment is. I did attend yesterdays meeting in Troy. Again hosted by the USFS, District Ranger Deborah Walker, Terry Savery with Recreation Resources, Charles Foote LEO, and Melissa Sanders the receptionist in the Troy office. There were two gentlemen from the NC Wildlife Resources Commission, one was a supervisor for the shooting range projects expanding in the state and the other was an engineer that is designing the ranges. There were many NRA members in attendance but no representative from the NRA in a official capacity.
Here's the basics...
The shooting range IS reopening. A majority of the funding, about 250K is coming from grants acquired by the NC WRC and they will be the primary constructor, pretty much everything from the dirt moving to the new structures. The NRA committed 30K to the project and provided a ton of consultation and advice to the design.
Construction should begin about the end of this month. Still a few agreements that have to be signed off on between the agencies. When it begins the only things left untouched will be the driveway exit, the sign out front, and the pit toilet. Everything else will new all new. The rifle portion will still be 100 yds, and will be graded so shooters will be firing at a more downward slope. The shelter will have 7 shooting stations and will be constructed so the front eave will be much lower to keep the shooter focused down toward the target. The pistol range will be shortened to 25 yds. Berms on both ranges will be elevated and a new berm will be constructed in between to isolate the two ranges firing lines but still open to observation for the Range Officer.
There will be a RO on duty when ever the range is open. It is a paid position, likely paid by the user fees and I think employed by the NCWRC. Volunteers to supervise during busy weekends will be welcomed.
Some of the hours of operation and days have not been finalized. Still some question as to whether shooting on Sunday will be permitted. Fees will still be the same, $3.00 daily, $30.00 annual (calendar year, so don't buy your pass on December 31st).
The 50 BMG is out. Single shot or otherwise. Those that legally have full auto may be limited to certain days. Other 50 cal., black powder, .500 S&W, etc, are still permissible.
I'm sure I left something out somewhere but wasn't intending to write a novel. I'll try to answer any questions if I can.
Oh... Completion may be around mid to end of December. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
The info the better, and yes your opinion is greatly welcomed
I'll save the commentary for now. Some of the questions and comments at the meeting border on the sublime or just downright ridiculous. And they own guns.

Thanks for that info. We are talking about the Browning machine gun and not the Barrett correct ?

Thanks for that info. We are talking about the Browning machine gun and not the Barrett correct ?
ANYTHING that fires the 50 BMG will not be allowed. I know there are other calibers out there that are just as devastating but they are kind of exotic so to speak. But really... if you've got a Barrett why waste your ammo at a 100 yd range. Go west young man! Lots of open space out there.

ANYTHING that fires the 50 BMG will not be allowed. I know there are other calibers out there that are just as devastating but they are kind of exotic so to speak. But really... if you've got a Barrett why waste your ammo at a 100 yd range. Go west young man! Lots of open space out there.

I know man. I would not bring it there as i need a way longer range, but I know Janet will be happy now. We were talking just about this yesterday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back