Forestry "Carbon Credits"...

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Looking for information, first/second hand experience or resources...

- Initially saw a click-bait ad that said [paraphrased]: "we'll pay you to maintain your forested land". It's from "Family Forest Carbon Program", funded by those wanting to purchase "Carbon Offsets", for a minimum of 30 acres?
Basically, they have 2 rates: $230/acre over OR with just applying for farm/tract # (whether it's accepted or not, but has been on our radar) $275/acre.

Contract is 20 years, payout is 20% 1st year, 10% 2nd/3rd year, and balance over the next 17 years.
Not huge amount of $$ (about $17-19Kish over 20 years with our 72 forested acres), but would definitely fund (partially or in whole) "things" around the place...

This got me thinking about whether this aligned with going rates on the "carbon credit market" or most likely, contractually locks you into a "good" rate today, that is expected to only rise in the coming years?
Making me think it'd be "better" to manage/"sell" those credits myself year to year without any long(er) term contracts
The going rate appears to be "$30- 50/tCO2 (metric tonne)", but no guesstimates/easy answer of what an acre of forested land is good for...

Back