Four Zero Zero

ponykilr

Well my Kidd project completed, I went with some friends this past weekend to do some long range shooting with .22lr. The goal was to shoot out to 300 yards dialing out and back. All of us have the glass with the travel needed to get there and it was just a fun thing to get together and do.

I bought this rifle with a factory receiver and a Kidd 20" barrel, Kidd bolt, Vblock and trigger. The Boyds stock had been professionally bedded with a steel bedding block. I replaced the receiver with a Kidd and 20moa Kidd rail and a Kidd 16.5" barrel. This rifle at 50 yards will stack lead on top of lead. At 100 it will hold well under an inch. At 200 it will hold under 3". Wind is hard on 22.

We shot based on ballistic calculators and most all ended up pretty close out to 300 yards. After we had seen 300, it only made sense to take it farther.

400. Yep, 400 yards.

I Took it all the way to 400 yards with 3 different ammo types. Eley Contact, Federal Gold Target 711B and Federal Bulk (for giggles, but it surprised me and some others). The Federal bulk is not subsonic and is a lighter bullet. Most would tell you that accuracy will go to crap as it comes through the transition from supersonic to subsonic. As we found out, theory does not always meet reality.
Dialed the scope out through 400 based on my ballistic calculator Strelok. Zero was 50 yds. Actual dope was as follows. I have 17.3 mils of up left after my 50 yard zero, above 17 I held using the mil reticle. We were hitting steel and looking for a "group" at 400 that simply made a noise. At 300, depending on the swirling wind, a 10 inch was possible.

Contact was :
100 ^ 2 mils
200 ^ 7 mils
300 ^ 13 mils
400 ^ 20.3 mils

Fed Gold Target was :
100 ^ 2.5 mils
200 ^ 7.5 mils
300 ^ 14 mils
400 ^ 22 mils

Fed bulk 550
100 ^ 1 mil
200 ^ 5 mils
300 ^ 11 mils
400 ^ 18 mils

Some observations...

Wind is hard on .22lr out past 200 yds.

At 400 yards, a subsonic rimfire is dropping 280+ inches! At 300 it is 140+ inches.

Eley Contact is zipping along at about 730 fps at 400 yards according to Strelok.

A good spotter with a good spotting scope is essential to get the data to make accurate corrections and find your actual dope.

Writing down the conditions and your dope dialed is mandatory and will be invaluable later in use.

400 yards is a LONG way for .22, 300 is out there. Both are doable and make you feel like a million bucks when you find your hold and put em on steel.

Lowly Federal bulk was the surprise of the day for everyone.
This is TONS OF FUNNN!

413873472.jpg

This is one of the 400 yard targets. You can see how I walked the shots up the steel once I connected.

413873471.jpg

Man, we need to get together!!! I love shooting .22 as far as itll reach. Ive got a cheap setup, but it works great to 200 and holds on at 300.

Savage Mark II - bone stock except I had my smith put some weaver mounts on it.

BSA Sweet .22 3-9x50 scope

I use it to pop squirrels with federal gold metal 40gr at 100 yards and have killed crows at 180 with it.

20160619_192330.jpg

20160612_184408.jpg

Last edited:
That’s some fine shooting with a .22 bought a 10/22 target with intentions of stretching it out but haven’t found an optic for it yet

Too bad you're so far away. Couple months ago I bought 3-4 boxes of every ammo eley, norma, Lapua, sk/wolf, federal, cci, gemtech Remington, Winchester, and maybe a couple others make for .22. I primarily only shoot subs but intended to spend a day finding what works best, still haven't had a chance though. Bolt action .22 is probably my favorite form of shooting.

Man, we need to get together!!! I love shooting .22 as far as itll reach. Ive got a cheap setup, but it works great to 200 and holds on at 300.

Savage Mark II - bone stock except I had my smith put some weaver mounts on it.

BSA Sweet .22 3-9x50 scope

I use it to pop squirrels with federal gold metal 40gr at 100 yards and have killed crows at 180 with it.

View attachment 267456

View attachment 267458
That is good shooting to kill squirrels and crows at that range :)

That’s some fine shooting with a .22 bought a 10/22 target with intentions of stretching it out but haven’t found an optic for it yet
My optic is a good one, but not a GOOD one. It's a Primary Arms 4-16 FFP mil/mil I got second hand for 175.

Too bad you're so far away. Couple months ago I bought 3-4 boxes of every ammo eley, norma, Lapua, sk/wolf, federal, cci, gemtech Remington, Winchester, and maybe a couple others make for .22. I primarily only shoot subs but intended to spend a day finding what works best, still haven't had a chance though. Bolt action .22 is probably my favorite form of shooting.
This one shoots Eley Contact (42g 1090fps solid) into one hole. My squirrel load is a brick of PMC Moderator hollow point that shoots nearly as well. Sadly it isnt made any longer and I have about 400 left. I was a bolt 22 guy until I put this together.

Back