Freakin A...seems like Murphy was right

jeep9mm

So yall remember my post about a week and a half abo about my jeep messing up and what not. They tell me first that its an ignition coil, they change it and they call sayin that did not fix the problem, that they need a new PCM so after like 5 days the PCM arrived. They put it in today and they just called me and told me that didnt solve the problem either and the mechanics have been over and under tryin to figure out what is wrong. They said they have been on the phone with detroit for over an hour and they can't figure out what is wrong with my JEEP. Anyone like to take any guesses? It has to do with water being in all that area...but they can't figure out what is wrong after changin ignition coils, spark plugs, and PCM.

Anyone know how dealers work cuz at first they said this wasnt covered under warranty but that they were gonna do it for me under warranty. Since they did that have they committed to fixing it all under warranty or could they turn around and change their minds now that it seems the problem is a lil bigger? Im gettin worried here...and I still cant remember a time my jeep has been under water deep enough as to where it coulda done all this.

Rod

maybe water in the gas, It happens. an old gas station may have some water prob. I have seen it happen.

What's the symptom? A lesson in Stealerships , most mechanics get their first training ever on a customers car a the dealership (least the ones I know of). Once a mechanic starts on your car, it's his baby till it's fixed. If there is a shop foreman (usually an older guy who can fix anything that is 10 years old or better, but knows little about more modern designs) he may help the tech. or not. Most good mechanics work at the dealership long enough to get all the training, get out and work on their own or at an independant shop for more $$$ and less politics ( and trust me there are a shit ton of politics in a service department). That being said, if they told you it would be under warrenty it most likely will be. Problem with that is , some poor tech. is getting paid warrenty time (which ain't shit) and if it works like most other dealerships , your car slowly slips to the back burner (cause it's a no money making dog to the tech.).But, tell me the symptoms and year make and model and I'll take a guess at it....Greg

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555&highlight=neuwirth

thats the link to the previous post where it explains what happened at first. Since then they have changed spark plugs, changed ignition coils, today they changed the PCM and still no answer.

They just called back and said that the problem is better but one of the cylinders is still misfiring at about 2500 to 3000 rpm. Detroit told them to order an injector for that cylinder and that wont be ready till thursday. They said that if that doesn't solve it they have to open the heads and go in there and see whats going on.

Thanks for the info Big woody...take ur guess! Oh so if the guy still hasnt mentioned cost and they keep ordering parts then should I assume it will be warranty? cuz its illegal for them to do the work and then tell me i gotta pay for it right?

in you first post you said the check engine light was on, what was that code ???? it prob. was just a missfire code but there may be more. now this is a long shot and i know it is new, but if the "comb" in the CAT comes lose it can stop up the exhaust and do much of the same things you are talking about

it came in with a Multi cylinder misfire code and after all they've done the code now is just single cylinder misfiring...tell me more about this comb.

Thanks to everyone!

well in side the CAT. there is wfat looks like a honey comb, a lot of time's this "comb" will break apart, when it does you have a ball of this "comb" (it is ceramic)and it clogs the exhaust.

If it's a single cylinder misfire, it wouldn't make sense to be the cat...

So they ruled out the fuel pump?? I am not sure but the computer could be resorting to something because it dosen't know what the hell is wrong. Good luck anyway.

I'm gonna stir the pot here and quote an old wise man. Those guys couldn't find there asshole in a bathtub with both hands and a flashlight. Just remember they don'tknow whats wrong. Just like they swore up and down my oil pan was leaking and wanted it fixed out of pocket even though the vehicle is under warranty before they wanted to do any repairs but yet they could not explain my leaky oil pan not staining or showing signs around the motor nor could they explain how the only oil leak I had visible was axle seal even though they swore it was still the pan. They same wiseman I even quoted had a kick out of it when he saw the vehicle and as smart and wise as he is the oil pan leaking from the axle housing stumped him as well :D

How about the plug wires? In the past I`ve had a wire or two start breaking down at certain RPM`s. Just a thought.

Back