free flow cat?

orange150

Well now that my tax return is in I think its time to show the DD (98 Grand Cherokee with 4.0) some love. It needs a new catalytic converter beyond belief; for better flow and what not is a hi-flow cat worth the extra money? or is it one of those "muffler bearing" kinda things? Also what about a header and muffler. not really planning on doing those two but since im on the subject just curious if they would make a big difference, or if they are worth the money on my jeep that I would love to get rid of one day. One thing about a better flowing muffler is that i dont want a lot of noise.
thanks

Free-flowing muffler does indeed flow alot better than the stock ones (which I'm assuming you still have). Also, in many cases they are cheaper b/c available in "universal" sizes, just by pipe size. I got a Car Sound for about $50 if I remember right.
Now, that in itself wil lnot change things much though - teh exhaust wil lalways flows only as good as the smallest point, so just opeing the cat and nothing else will probably not net you very much. Of course if yours is toast then it's probably gotten to be pretty restrictive anyway, so replacement wil lat least get you back to original flow. You'll get the most from it when you replace the miuffler and teh rest of the pipe later.

I bought a dynomax cat off ebay for $50. It looks to be well made but I have not put it on yet.
I might take you up on that GC for PSD deal as long as you take the payment book to.

Sam(slim)

StudNuts said:
just take the stock cat...cut it open...gut it...weld it back together. bam, free high flow cat.
Or remove it from the jeep and poke its insides out with a LONG stick.........:smokin:

Thats what I would do.......

rbo1577186 said:
Would it still pass emissions inspection?

do you know the inspector.................do you have an extra 50 bucks lying around...

I think you would be fine,........................maybe...........:huggy:

as long as the O2 sensor doesnt throw a code it would pass fine. I just dont want to go through the hassle of dealing with dry as crap exhaust bolts, banging all that mess out, then putting it back together only to have the O2 not like it... im lazy like that.

And a PSD sounds nice :)

Back