Front Axle swap options (widths, strengths, etc)

chupacabrah

I have a '93 YJ wrangler, currently with d30 front and f8.8 rear. I am looking to upgrade and go SOA and such.
Probably both axles, but just so I have some more information:

In the event I keep my rear 8.8, what are the options for front axles that are d44 strength or greater that are approximately the same width as stock?

Or is the most feasible option to get a full width d44 and have it cut down?

according to this JF post, d30 width is 60.5” (TJ, YJ, XJ, WJ).

My 8.8 is slightly narrower, but would be pushed back out an inch or so with a super88.

If the only real option is to have a full width axle cut down, I think I would much rather just have full widths all around... well, I kinda want that anyway :huggy:

yeah, I think I am going to go full width. working on that now.

Just wanted to see if there were any real options for stock width as I wasn't sure if there were any. sounds like there aren't!

what does it cost to cut down an axle, anyway?

Just a few things, depends on how and how much ya wheel and what tire you go with. Other options on yer axles would be early bronco 44/9" combo or wagoneer and j10 44s. Like I said it depends?

Depending on what size tire you are going to run, and how hard you wheel, you might be fine with just throwing these in the front end.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-128237-alloy-usa-chromoly-shafts-lr-front-dana-30-alloy12148.html
If you want to go full width, I'd go D44HP front, 9" rear for 36/37" tires or smaller. For 37/38" tires or larger, I'd go D60HP front, 14 bolt rear.

I am planning to run 37s (or 36s), and I doubt I will go larger. My YJ is not a daily driver, I pretty much just drive it to URE several times a year to go wheelin, and occasionally will drive it around-- so I put < 5000 miles a year on it for sure.
I've been looking into d44/9" combos and d44/d60 combos. all these dang cast-in wedges are driving me crazy on those d44s.

not that i would be opposed to a d60 pair :D
If I could afford that, anyway.

I thought long and hard about running the d30 with chromos, but once geared as I want to be (4.88s or lower, well...d30 4.88 is max), the r&p is the weak link there and I sure don't want to bust that.

I would prefer to overbuild in order to minimize breakage, rather than run right at the limits.

Well I've got a HPD44 and 9". Cromos and locked. I run 37's and I break shafts. I wish I had done D60 and 14bolt. FWIW.

I not exactly gentle on my rig though.

Or at least 35 spline 9".

Well I've got a HPD44 and 9". Cromos and locked. I run 37's and I break shafts. I wish I had done D60 and 14bolt. FWIW.
I not exactly gentle on my rig though.
Or at least 35 spline 9".

really? damn...that...is not good for my wallet!

I've always read that 37s do well on a d44, with chromos. I mean obviously too much skinny pedal will break anything*.

I don't really want a 14b...too big. I'd rather have a d60 rear, or 35spl 9" like you said.

*probably not rockwells or something of that sort

really? damn...that...is not good for my wallet!
I've always read that 37s do well on a d44, with chromos. I mean obviously too much skinny pedal will break anything*.
I don't really want a 14b...too big. I'd rather have a d60 rear, or 35spl 9" like you said.
*probably not rockwells or something of that sort

Keep in mind the D44 and D30 have the same size ujoint. No big strength benefit. Less flexing with thicker tubes will help with the breakage. Unless you do the new RCV's.

D44 will have bigger breaks too.

Rear d60's are 30 spline. Costs a lot to make them stronger. 14bolt is mega strong out of the box, no alloys needed. They can be shaved.

However I really like a 9" and 35spl is the way to go IMO.

Last 2 times out I have broken shafts. They are alloy usa shafts with yukon joints. broken a front and a rear alloy usa 31 spine.

If you are going to go from stock (with 8.8 you're already past that :) ) to spend the least money go once and go big. Half stepping with alloys for the D30, Super 88 kit, D44 for the front, then D60 for the rear, then D60 for the front, then alloys for the front, etc will cost you MUCH more in the long run that going big once and going right!

Front, personally I wouldn't do anything to a D30 except wheel it (ie don't put in aftermarket ujoints, alloys, etc) or put in a D60.

Rear, try to decide what gear ratio you want to run first. If you can get that ratio in or for a 14 bolt go 14. If you need to go lower than a 14 bolt offers go D60. Now you can decide on axle shaft, locker and brake upgrades. With 37s you should be good with either axle but then again, depends on your rig weight and driving style.

You could always go with Toyota axles...
Or Toyota front and some type of 6 lug rear.

A trussed D30 with good shafts will hold up surprisingly well. If you want to beat it on 37's without concern, put a D60 in the front, and a 14B, D60, or built 9" in the rear.

If you are going to go from stock (with 8.8 you're already past that :) ) to spend the least money go once and go big. Half stepping with alloys for the D30, Super 88 kit, D44 for the front, then D60 for the rear, then D60 for the front, then alloys for the front, etc will cost you MUCH more in the long run that going big once and going right!

Front, personally I wouldn't do anything to a D30 except wheel it (ie don't put in aftermarket ujoints, alloys, etc) or put in a D60.

Rear, try to decide what gear ratio you want to run first. If you can get that ratio in or for a 14 bolt go 14. If you need to go lower than a 14 bolt offers go D60. Now you can decide on axle shaft, locker and brake upgrades. With 37s you should be good with either axle but then again, depends on your rig weight and driving style.

that's exactly what I am sick of-- just stepping. If I knew 5 years ago what I know now, I would have just gone SOA from the get-go. However, I know what I know now from those 5 years of experience :)

the d30 has done well for me these several years--I've been running 33s and have not babied it by any means. I have only had 2 breakages, and both of these were recent and within a month of each other. The first was my middle shaft snapped, and secondly my ball joints ripped out which took the driver side axle with it. So now I figure now is a good time to upgrade and go SOA :)

I am *pretty sure* a d44 front and a d60/f9" in the rear would suit my needs and driving style. not to mention d60 fronts are hard to come by economically.

If I find one, I will definitely get it, so I guess I better start visiting the junkyards (and the for sale section on here) more frequently and see what I can find!

Otherwise...I'll just suck it up and have a d44 and maybe be a little easier on things.

Back