Fuel filter overkill?

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
Mentioned in my recent build thread update that I had multiple clogged injectors on my Ranger. Trying to keep from happening again.
Current fuel system setup is: Walbro 255 in-tank pump with integral sock filter. Frame rail mounted 40 micron (I swore it was a 10, but looked back at my order history). Then up to the rail with hardline mostly to ethanol rated braided hose from the frame to the engine.
I got a tank of dirty gas on the way to a wheeling trip for sure. The gas wasn't all gas and was heavily diluted that left a bunch of crap in the cell.
Question: was the 40 micron filter (again my mistake) simply too porous to catch the debris and now going to 10 micron will fix it? I was going to install an additional filter at the rail where my supply line connects. I have plenty of room and it's all AN stuff, so easy to do.
Thoughs, prayers, witty remarks are all welcome.

Mentioned in my recent build thread update that I had multiple clogged injectors on my Ranger. Trying to keep from happening again.
Current fuel system setup is: Walbro 255 in-tank pump with integral sock filter. Frame rail mounted 40 micron (I swore it was a 10, but looked back at my order history). Then up to the rail with hardline mostly to ethanol rated braided hose from the frame to the engine.
I got a tank of dirty gas on the way to a wheeling trip for sure. The gas wasn't all gas and was heavily diluted that left a bunch of crap in the cell.
Question: was the 40 micron filter (again my mistake) simply too porous to catch the debris and now going to 10 micron will fix it? I was going to install an additional filter at the rail where my supply line connects. I have plenty of room and it's all AN stuff, so easy to do.
Thoughs, prayers, witty remarks are all welcome.
Remove the one on the frame rail and install a good filter at the fuel rail. Catch anything from the hoses if they break down.

I have a summit 10 micron filter on the frame rail just in front of the tank. I also segmented my return line there so it would be easier to drop the tank if needed.

I've got about 6k miles on the swap and haven't had any fuel issues. I've filled up in Harlan, sketchy little towns all over Appalachia, and out west with no issues.

That's a good idea that I considered. I was thinking redundancy wouldn't hurt. Don't want to create excessive restriction or anything.
I run the a fitting filter and it’s attached directly to the fuel rail. Then hose connects from there with a 90 to drop it down. I’d think between that and the sock in the tank would be plenty. But sounds like you need to run a water separator too lol 😝

Question: was the 40 micron filter (again my mistake) simply too porous to catch the debris and now going to 10 micron will fix it?
Based on the 12 years of running a (heavily massaged) GM TBI on my 304 (prior to the Sniper), any EFI built in the last 30-35 years require a 10-micron filter before it hit the rails/injectors...

I run the a fitting filter and it’s attached directly to the fuel rail. Then hose connects from there with a 90 to drop it down. I’d think between that and the sock in the tank would be plenty. But sounds like you need to run a water separator too lol 😝
Circle K has great coffee but they're gas is questionable (Exit 5 in SC)

Based on the 12 years of running a (heavily massaged) GM TBI on my 304 (prior to the Sniper), any EFI built in the last 30-35 years require a 10-micron filter before it hit the rails/injectors...
That's what I have ran on it historically. But I ordered the wrong replacement one the last time :dumbass:

You have all the woopows compared to my small block 4.0 but I am running a clear disposable (think lawnmower) 10 micron filter before the pump and the factory YJ filter on the frame rail. When both are clean, the YJ has no issues running all the way to the rev limiter and the off idle hesitation I used to have is gone. What I am running into now that the vapor lock is fixed, is the ethanol and all the bouncing around breaks the glue loose on the filter element in the disposable filter and junk gets past and into the pump inlet. E series pump has a small screen on the inlet side too so that's where the junk gets caught. I plan on switching that disposable filter to some Fuel Safe pickup socks on the lines in the cell before the next trip.

40 microns is a thou and a half. Something small enough to pass through any orifice in that system. HOWEVER, if the filter is overwhelmed and starts bypassing (or has a tear in it, all bets are off. I don't know anything about your setup so I have no idea if that's a possibility. Also, I worked in supplier quality for a few years, and I can guaran-damn-tee you 40 microns in China is a hell of a lot bigger than 40 microns in the US.

40 microns is a thou and a half...and I can guaran-damn-tee you 40 microns in China is a hell of a lot bigger than 40 microns in the US.
Nothing useful to add...except maybe some comedic relief.

1724860894175.jpeg

I dont have anywhere the same experience most of you do
Ill add - I am a huge fan of Simple, Efficient, and Reliable
For me this would be a filter either on the frame on the fwd most end, or at the rail - and I would go with a quality inline filter. Easy access, less than 5min to swap.
And Id just add it to my annual maintenance to swap it out every winter. Thats an easy expense to swallow

I dont have anywhere the same experience most of you do
Ill add - I am a huge fan of Simple, Efficient, and Reliable
For me this would be a filter either on the frame on the fwd most end, or at the rail - and I would go with a quality inline filter. Easy access, less than 5min to swap.
And Id just add it to my annual maintenance to swap it out every winter. Thats an easy expense to swallow
Got a pair of 10 microns sitting on the tool box. I'll have some time maybe next week to button her up

Back