Fuel go bad?

thebluyak

Really newb question. Does premium fuel go bad? and how long does it take for it to go bad if it does?

Yes fuel can go bad...have no idea how long it takes but I would say if it has been sitting for MONTHS (Years) there is a good chance it is not "as good" as it was/could be.

(Not to mention it coats the lines with a hard, "shlack" type substance...you see carb cleaners and fuel injector cleaners out there to help with this.)

I am not sure who said this before, but they had a gallon of gas in a bucket in their shop, and after the fumes all vented off, they literally would put out their cigeratte butts in it. (Yeah...who is the first guy to try, eh?)

Sam

hahaha well this premium fuel has been sitting in my tank for like 4 months and I did not know if I should drain it before I try to start it. I have to take off the carb and rebuild it already so while im at it should i drain 30 dollars worth of gas?

if the tank is full and it has been sealed then the gas is probably still in ok shape. after 4 months its not the best but should still be around 80 octane
(if the tank was sealed.)

if it (the tank) was open / vented then dump it. best test is does it still smell like gas or does it stink like turpinetine if it stinks its bad also look at the color good gas is clear almost like water bad will turn light to dark brownish.

im guessing its sealed, it is in the gas tank of my cherokee

Back