Furd is one for five

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
With building good rears, that is.

My mom called a while ago. Their $42k '04 F150 Crew was whining and shuddering a bit.... took it into the dealer, and found that the 9.75 rear was shot after 20k miles. New gears, bearings, carrier, sides and spiders, etc.

$1300 warranty repair.

That makes three Ford rears I've destroyed due to shitty R&P, and one for my parents.

Why anyone would run an 8.8 or 10.25-based diff is completely beyond me. :lol:

Which begs the question, "What happened?" To the quality, that is. My old F250 7.3 with the 10.25 Sterling (FF) is well on the way to 200K and is going strong, but the semi-floaters, the IRS Expedos and the IRS 8.8s Exploders are having a real problem for damn sure. On the same note, the Crown Vics at the SHP don't seem to be having the problems. Oh sure, there've been a few, but these are highway patrol cars, and if a NCSHP trooper can't tear it up on a regular basis, who can? Some of these guys could tear up an aircraft carrier with a popsicle stick, ha ha ha!

i agree with the "What happened" theory. my truck's 8.8 has about 300,000 HARD miles on it as a service truck in the Asheville area hauling loaded trailers all day long, then got to me pullin 36's and a heavy right foot, never made any noise, shakes or anything. I personally beleive that Ford did a fine job building strong trucks with the exception of the TTB, which still really isnt too bad if all you're doing is DDing it.

saf-t scissors said:
That makes three Ford rears I've destroyed due to shitty R&P, and one for my parents.

Why anyone would run an 8.8 or 10.25-based diff is completely beyond me. :lol:

Great now I am playing catch up :lol: My Dads 03 Supercrew has tranny issues and I have only 500 miles behind the wheel so it isnt my fault. :D

It was 1. locked and geared, 2. cheap But I would be 14 bolt all the way if not for that.

Yeah, maybe I'm just bitter because I have over a grand tied up in that 10.25, and it's still a broken POS. ;)

But I think that Visteon never had great quality control to start with. There are definitely rears out there that are holding up fine after years of service.... but it seems to me there are just as many that were worthless when they rolled off the line.

Want to play a game? Next time you're at the junkyard, check all the Ford rears. Try finding ONE with a tight pinion.

Exploderpilot said:
So what is the problem with the original 31 spline 8.8 fomr explorers and late rangers?

I thought they were desirable axles and failry sturdy and reliable.

They are pretty strong and reliable...after you have done a couple of things to them. First, the rosette welds that hold the axle tubes to the pumpkin are not the best, running a bead around the tube at the pumkin (or atleast adding a couple 1 inch beads) helps. The carrier is a week point. EVERY 8.8 I've seen fail has been from a blown up carrier. Put in an E-locker/ARB/OX and it replaces the carrier...now you have one stong ass axle.

Don't forget the truss, perch reinforcements (to keep the tube from collapsing) and solid pinion shim.

Then you've got something halfway reliable for a <36" tire lightweight rig.

How about engines? Co-worker's 2003 Ranger 4.0 dropped a valve into the cylinder.. 44,000 miles. He doesn't drive hard by any means...

He went and got a Toyota (Camry though, blah!), after making a very public scene in the Ford new car showroom about how quality sure as hell isn't job 1 when their damn "Ford tough" trucks can't make it to 45,000 miles... :lol:

OHC motor? They have all kinds of fawking problems. If I knew then what I know now.... we would have gotten a 5slow instead.

Ain't none of 'em worth a damn. The Chebbys the state has (in our troop) give twice the problems the Fords do (every Camaro trooper shoulda been issued a Crown Vic so he'd have something to drive while the Shitbox is in the shop having another engine, tranny, or rear end replaced), the Mopars are a farking disaster, and even though I ain't a real Ford fan, I'm drivin' one cuz the damn payments on the Toyotas were the same as the Ford, only damn near for half again as long! Hope to hell the new Exploder (fleet unit) lasts long enough to pay it off.

Back