gear ratios and axel decisions (tow rig)

orange150

Here's my dilemma, I need a new front axle pretty bad (well axle work at least), and my rear end could use some lovin' as well. I have found a set of axles out of a 2000 PSD (I know the front is a D50) that I can get for very cheap, in perfect working order, and I believe I can get wheels and tires with them as well. But the super duty axles have 3.88s? in them and my truck currently has 4.10s. Am I better off just finding a D60 to fit my current set up or will the higher (lower?) gear ratio of the newer axels be that big of a deal?

Truck in question is my '97 4x4 PSD

Research done on the fitment of the axels across the different models:
From Pirate:
the speed sensor in the rear end is the same.
spring perch widths are different between the 2 models. The SDuty pass side perch will line up, the housing side will need about 1/2 inch ground out of the housing to let the spring fit. ... You'll need to redrill a spring pin hole about 1/2 in also.
X's 2, but those dana 50's dont like a lot of weight... Specially off road. You might want to keep looking. Ball joint 60's are almost a dime a dozen right now.
Thedieselstop:
Just remember after all of the work to adapt the SD axles, buying new wheels, etc, you have gained rear disc brakes but lost by having non serviceable unit bearings on the front.
(after someone went on about swapping disks into my 10.25)
The bearings really are not that big of deal..price out bearings and seals for a D60!
No matter whos aftermarket rear disk brake kit you get it will not compair stopping wise with newer SD axles brakes.

Back