GM 3.8L Questions

adamk

Figured I’d throw a thread up as I guarantee there’s someone here more knowledgeable on the GM 3.8L V6.

I recently took the plunge on building a new rig with a Series 2 supercharged 3.8L as the power plant. I’m just looking for information on pros/cons and what to keep an eye on with this motor. I am part of a few 3800 groups and continue to lurk/read there but want to turn to the group here as well.

So, what’s good, what’s bad, and what’s meh about these motors?

We used to have a Pontiac in the family that used to hydro lock on coolant pretty frequently. I think the intake gaskets were kinda meh. Otherwise I wish we never sold it.

@adamk curious to know as well. I picked up a series 2 sc3800 a few weeks ago that will probably go in the wife's buggy whenever she starts that project.

What trans and tcase are you planning? I'm planning on aw4/Atlas.

@adamk curious to know as well. I picked up a series 2 sc3800 a few weeks ago that will probably go in the wife's buggy whenever she starts that project.

What trans and tcase are you planning? I'm planning on aw4/Atlas.

I’m running a 700r4/atlas. The 700 is from a V6 S10 so it’s got the 60* bell housing. I’ve seen a bunch of guys go after the TF904 from a 4 cylinder YJ with good success and a couple go the AW4 route.

Last edited:
We used to have a Pontiac in the family that used to hydro lock on coolant pretty frequently. I think the intake gaskets were kinda meh. Otherwise I wish we never sold it.

This. My first car was a high mileage NA3800 in a Bonneville. It did the oil/coolant mix because of intake gaskets. IIRC from the days of messing with the 3800 platform the valvetrain, cam and head gaskets is a limiting factor but the stock bottom ends can actually take a fair amount of extra boost.

Back