gm drive by wire pros/cons

Chuckman

Ok, finally getting serious about installing the new (to me) 6.0 motor in the CJ. I got the engine complete with the foot pedal that is electric throttle. How much trouble will I run into with cab washdowns if I protect it? I spoke with Jim from the harness company and he says to keep it and as a bonus use the cruise control function. With that said, I do like to drive the jeep to/from the trails, and this would be very nice to have. But is setup just going to toast the first time it rains on me without the top up? Just looking for opinions, I'm sure that there are horror stories out there, lets hear them. Dont want the extra trouble of chasing down a new TB and computer to match. I got WAY too good a deal on this setup to go farting around mismatching stuff.
Thanks,
Chuck

I have not heard anything about them as far as the pedal getting wet.

Just go testdrive a new truck and spill a 44oz drink on it.:lol:

The pedal going to shit is what made me go to a cable TB. It isn't nearly as weather resistant as everything else.

It's really easy to find a computer and TB. Took me all of an hour on ebay.

Someone had also mentioned that the ETC engines had to use vacuum reservoirs, presumably because there's no more IAC?

best thing I can tell you is PROTECT the wiring !!

There were harness issues on the first few year model trucks, the wires were not able to handle the vibrations and would break inside the insulation and at the connectors.

I fought a few of them when I was at the dealership, once you figured out what the hell was going on, , finding the right terminal ends was the next battle ( you would think a large dealership would have such things in stock)

THe ECM will handle getting wet ( is mounted under hood, low right behind the coresupport behind left headlight), but I don't think submerged is a good idea.

As mentioned, the APP sensor IS NOT waterproof, and will short out if gotten wet.

Also as mentioned, if you have vacuum operated accesories ( power brakes most important) you will need a vacuum booster of some sort ( factory trucks had vac booster pumps mounted to the brake booster)

ETC electric throttle bodies

So, I am stumped on this one. Are all these motors lacking sufficient system vacuum or is it strictly related to the ETC versions. I am at work and cant logon to the LS1 boards to check. The donor van has/had hydroboost (if its still on the truck), maybe I can pull that out for the brake fix if this is the case. Would make for some killer stopping power in any case but more weight.:rolleyes:

It seems to me it's just the ETC engines... None of the f-body guys ever complain about lack of vacuum.

Back