Going back dually....or not?

redneckjeep87

Landscaper Extroidanaire
So, my f550 build is finally nearing completion (thank god!) And it's time to figure out wheels/tires.

Current setup is 37x13.50x20 maxxis razr on 20x11 8x225 steel supersingle wheels. Does not provide enough weight capacity/stability when hauling. Truck weighs 11-12k and I tow 14k regularly. The wheels also have different backspacing front to rear to match track width...which drives me crazy not being able to rotate.

I am looking at continental mpt81's due to combination of size/weight capacity/traction/longevity from what I've read around on

I have two options the way I see it. I can either keep what I've got wheel wise and run 335/80/20 mpt 81's which are a little taller than I would like but have phenomenal weight capacity of 6779lbs per tire, and are 40.6x12.5 requiring a 10-11" wheel

Or convert back to dually which is what I would prefer, but have yet to find wheels that would work. I would like a 20x9 to run the 275/80/20 mpt81 which is 4674lbs and 37.4x10.43x20

Other issue is the 8x225 lug pattern. Stazworks quit producing their steel dually wheels unfortunately, supposed to be working on figuring out aluminums but no set date yet to release.

And I dont want to go smaller than 37s as the combo of that and the 4.88s is still overgeared for towing but i can at least run 70ish albeit that's rolling pretty hard, but better than 55.
20181206_095704.jpg

In for the discussion.

I'd really like to go SRW on the Rum Hambulance if I can get the weight capacity correct.

The 335/80/20 mpt81 and mpt80 are run on a mogs and the giant high dollar earthroamer type offroad rvs that gross out 18-20k and those guys are getting 60k out of them mostly on road with some offroad

In for the discussion.

I'd really like to go SRW on the Rum Hambulance if I can get the weight capacity correct.

The 335/80/20 mpt81 and mpt80 are run on a mogs and the giant high dollar earthroamer type offroad rvs that gross out 18-20k and those guys are getting 60k out of them mostly on road with some offroad

The wheel wells of the box are shaped such that I'm limited to a 37" diameter without running a monstrous lift, which I don't want to do. I'm limited to the 285/80R20 or a HMMV load range E

I want some MPT081s too....

The wheel wells of the box are shaped such that I'm limited to a 37" diameter without running a monstrous lift, which I don't want to do. I'm limited to the 285/80R20 or a HMMV load range E
I believe you would probably be much better off with the 81s then if you are worried about weight capacity. You'll be limited to 11 wide vs 12.50

I want some MPT081s too....
Need to see if we can do a group buy. Maybe @Tacoma747 could give us a hand getting some? Theres a place on ebay out of Norfolk that has them all the time, but he is wayyyy closer and is running around picking up parts/trucks etc from all over

I can be in Norfolk in 3 hours.

I guess it depends on how much they cost...

I believe you would probably be much better off with the 81s then if you are worried about weight capacity. You'll be limited to 11 wide vs 12.50

The load index on the 275/80R20 MPT81 is 134, so 4674lbs per tire. The hmmvw MTR load range E is 4540lbs per tire. There's a bit of difference there bu they both would cover my rear GAWR in singles. The wheels become the issue for the hmmvw if I run an 05+ front axle for brake clearance, but they would certainly be more affordable.

The load index on the 275/80R20 MPT81 is 134, so 4674lbs per tire. The hmmvw MTR load range E is 4540lbs per tire. There's a bit of difference there bu they both would cover my rear GAWR in singles. The wheels become the issue for the hmmvw if I run an 05+ front axle for brake clearance, but they would certainly be more affordable.

For sure. Didnt realize the load was that high. I definitly cant fit 16.5' over my brakes. For super singles your lookin at stazworks, 1st attack, and one or two others. Cant remember the brand of mine, some equipment wheel manufacturer

Are the offsets front and back of the wheels close enough that you can flip them around and rotate them? There was a similar setup on this truck, and he mentioned reversible wheels: A real brush truck!.

you could go 19.5s, but the tallest tire I have seen is 285/70/19.5, which is only ~35".

Are the offsets front and back of the wheels close enough that you can flip them around and rotate them? There was a similar setup on this truck, and he mentioned reversible wheels: A real brush truck!.

you could go 19.5s, but the tallest tire I have seen is 285/70/19.5, which is only ~35".

I'll have to measure again to tell you, I tried to rotate them this past fall before I put the truck in the shop and it was enough I didnt want to mess with it. The backspacing on the rear wheels is different from the front wheels

Back