Going to do a BB/ where to rent tools

tjwoo

I dont really have much any tools in the garage, I'll bascially be working out of my parent's driveway. Is there a place I can rent a floorjack/jackstands, torque wrench? I'm gonna be doing a budget boost soon and would rather not go out and buy tools that I will barely use after this install.

this is on a 06 TJ.

I wouldnt necessarily stress over the torque wrench.

But if you dont own a jack and jackstands, I have to wonder if you have enough other tools(or knowledge/ability) to pull this off.

You didn't mention it, but unless you want to be hating life...buy a set of spring compressors or rent them from autozone. Buy a hi-lift, it will be a lot more helpful for this than floor jack and you need one anyway if you plan on using the jeep. Find out if anyone else here from CH can/will help you.

:edit: I honestly can't understand how someone would waste such a great opportunity to buy new tools... :( Very tragic

Here's the thing. His comment, " would rather not go out and buy tools that I will barely use after this install."

Most of us have a bunch of tools that fall into this catogory. But the thing is, buying the tool is usually cheaper than paying someone to do a job for you. Jacks, jack stands are a must if you ever plan on working under your rig.

haha im 19 i buy 1 time use tools all the time... at least thats what I thought they were... but i use them alot

Go ahead and buy the tools. Buy good quality tools. You will have them AND use them the rest of your life.

Unless all yer doing is building a mallcrawler. :shaking:

Matt

Never use a jack and stands again? Shit, you may never ONLY use a jack and one pair of stands again.. that's closer to the truth..

3 words: rotating your tires

Or do we have another Emmons on our hands... :lol:

Go to AAP, AZ, HF, or Wally World and get a cheap 2 1/2 to 3 ton Hi Lift Floor jack and 4 3-ton Jack stands. You may be able to get all for under $75. Sometimes they sell them as a package at a discount.

You will need them again..... I promise.

Anything that involves taking a wheel off......
Or supporting something heavy......

Agreed with the above. Just buy the floor jack and stands, they can be had in a package deal for under $100 most places. Pick up a can of PB Blaster and a breaker bar too. You'll need the bar if you're going to use spring compressors OR if you'll just be removing swaybar/shocks to get the pucks in.

there is a jack and 2 jack stands for sale on craigslist for $30 dollars how much cheaper can you get, throw them away when your done or ill give ya 30 bucks for them when your done if you bring them to me.

Since you don't have your name listed in your profile...I can't introduce myself...:rolleyes:

I'm in Chapel Hill, I like playing with Jeeps...PM me, I'll help you out..."My dad is a TV repairman...He has a killer set of tools..."

No, seriously. I've got all the crap needed to put on the BB. Drop me a line.

And for the rest of you low lifes...The kid (whether he is 13 or 30) can't or don't want to buy the tools...Who gives a chit if YOU go and buy a new tool every time you want something. This post ain't about YOUR fawkin' tools. It's about somebody that needs a little help. Sure he's likely to need the jack and stands some day...But, if he don't have to spend the $$ on them now and can put it off for the next round of mods...$$ saved. I'm a little suprised that there are 16 replys in this thread and not one person ahead of me offered to help the guy...Jackasses.

Maybe it would be different if needed an Engine hoist, special puller, transmission jack, ........

but a floor jack & stands??????

And for the rest of you low lifes...The kid (whether he is 13 or 30) can't or don't want to buy the tools...Who gives a chit if YOU go and buy a new tool every time you want something. This post ain't about YOUR fawkin' tools. It's about somebody that needs a little help. Sure he's likely to need the jack and stands some day...But, if he don't have to spend the $$ on them now and can put it off for the next round of mods...$$ saved. I'm a little suprised that there are 16 replys in this thread and not one person ahead of me offered to help the guy...Jackasses.

:beer:

Self righteous much? How many people that have posted in this thread besides yourself are within even 40 minutes of CH? If he wants help I'm sure he'll ask--the question was where to rent a jack and jackstands. For $40 you can buy both at wal mart then sell afterwards. Have a bad day? :rolleyes:

Since you don't have your name listed in your profile...I can't introduce myself...:rolleyes:

I'm in Chapel Hill, I like playing with Jeeps...PM me, I'll help you out..."My dad is a TV repairman...He has a killer set of tools..."

No, seriously. I've got all the crap needed to put on the BB. Drop me a line.

Very well put. I used to come to this site a few years back and alot of posts ended up looking like this. Someone getting bashed for posting a question that may seem simple and petty to those more experienced. To say the least I stopped coming to the site for awhile after that. Started coming back a little while ago and thought most of that had stopped. Maybe This is just a single out instance but not sure.

tjwoo,
I am not near Chapel Hill and cannot do any maintenance right (back Surgery 2 weeks ago) but if you can get yourself to Fayetteville I should have everything you need to do it. A garage and I can give you moral support from a chair. If all else fails drop me a p.m. (if I still have an account after my comments). Good luck

Alright I will defend my statement here since it is so obviously under attack.

I appreciate anyone wanting to learn. Hell there is more than 1board member on here that can attest to me spending plenty of my own, time, money and blood fixing, modifying or just plain tinkerin with their rigs. And have taken more time than most to try and help teach those who knew less and learn fom those who knew more.

ALL that said....

The original poster didn't ask for help, he asked where to rent a jack and jack stands. Any lift (even a BB) is not something to be thoughtlessly stuck together. There is serious potential to get injured while installing, and the possibility of seeing someone else injured if installed incorrectly. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I really dont want the follow up, DAMN IT SUCK MISSING FINGERS post after a coil spring accident. Or the DAMN YOU REDNECK JEEPERS YOU KILLED MY [INSERT RELATIVE HERE] when your lift failed and your jeep careened out of control.

Hell maybe I take life and personal responsibility too seriously. But if you do not own a floor jack, you do not posses the ability to complete this project IN MY OPINION. So yeah, someone encourage where to find a jack, ands if the damn vehicle falls off the jack its your ass.

Now all that said. TJWOO if you wanna make a road trip, I will not only lift your Jeep WITH you but I will also send you back to CH with a spare jack and some stands I have laying around the shop. Please dot take this post as inflamatory towards you. I am just really sick of certain members taking the stance recently that they know more tha everyone, have better stuff than anyone, and are overall better people than everyone else on here.

IT THOUGHT THIS BOARD WAS ABOUT HELPING PEOPLE, thats what I and everyone else saying don't try this was doing. Trying to help someone not get hurt. If others get all butt hurt over it, :fuck-you:

Here... how about this..

1) I'll LOAN you a pair of large jack stands (6tons) and my 'spare' floor jack. FREE.. Stop over and pick them up... bring them back when you are done...

I work in Durham and will even bring them there if it helps any... Hell I'll even LOAN you some of my harbor freight special trail wrenches. If that helps you out..

And if you drive your jeep ill point out exactly what you need to do to get it done..

2) If you think you can do it your self your welcome to do it in my driveway and use my air tools.. But i have my own junk to work on this weekend, so I can only help a little and mainly offer advice....

PM me if your interested.
-mike

Back