Good Volvo mechanic in Raleigh area?

thecarman

Hey!

I sold a friend of mine an 86 Volvo 240DL, and he needs to take it somewhere to get a problem checked out. It seems to run fine as long as you only accelerate lightly, but if you give it any more throttle then it cuts out. Does not miss like bad plug wires, but just seems to die until you let off the throttle. But if you just accelerate lightly, it won't do it, and it idles and cruises fine.

It had plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and mass air flow sensor just before I got it.

He doesn't want to take it to a general mechanic and just have them start throwing parts at it. Is there a reliable shop that knows Volvos in the Raleigh area (incl Durham, Garner, Fuquay, etc)?

(I got the car cheap, knew nothing about it, and sold it to him cheap, having told him I knew nothing about it. I have no liability in this, he's not blaming me or anything. I'm just trying help a friend out.)

Thanks!
Richard

Check the engine wiring harness...they are bad about sheilding rotting off the wires and will cause all sorts of problems. My first thought was the air mass meter, but I see where it's been replaced. I know of a buddy of mine in Greensboro that runs a Volvo only shop if you can't find someone over there, I send him all our "problem children" Volvos. I would also have someone check the fuel pressure , sounds like it could be a pump/filter problem.

Thanks!!! Will check out the wiring.

One other thing he just told me - it does not do it when the engine is cold. Only does it once it warms up. That's why I never noticed it, and it didn't happen when he test drove it before buying it - never drove far enough for the engine to get warm.

One more thing I saw happen several years ago that caused the same problem. The air duct running from the exhaust manifold to the air filter box has a thermostat in it to help during cold running by pumping hot air into the air box. If the thermostat goes bad it will pump hot air to the air box all the time and thus "confuse" the air mass meter. try taking that ducting off the car. I work on lots of those things that don't have it and in our climate doesn't seem to effect it at all...just another thought of a cheap quick thing to check.

richard, i've got someone for you... drop me a pm.

BIGWOODY said:
Check the engine wiring harness...they are bad about sheilding rotting off the wires and will cause all sorts of problems. My first thought was the air mass meter, but I see where it's been replaced. I know of a buddy of mine in Greensboro that runs a Volvo only shop if you can't find someone over there, I send him all our "problem children" Volvos. I would also have someone check the fuel pressure , sounds like it could be a pump/filter problem.

You wouldn't happen to be talking about Jay, would you? Swedish Auto Works, I think?

Let me know if you need some parts. I got tons of them!

catfishblues said:
You wouldn't happen to be talking about Jay, would you? Swedish Auto Works, I think?

Let me know if you need some parts. I got tons of them!
yup he used to work for us..known him 15 years or so

Back