gooseneck vs bumper pull

Mine is the lightest of the bunch, 6.0 gas 2wd (although it is extended cab). Curb weight is calculated with a full tank of gas. You are right, my payload is actually 3800 lbs (not a huge difference from the max available, but still there, and a little less with me and a buddy inside). Curb weight is 5400 lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/chevrolet/silverado2500hd/100147798/specs.html

Either way, you and I both know our trucks can handle more than 9200 gross, but it is an argument against a gooseneck i hadn't thought of.

Just a FWI what I found http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/dodge/rampickup2500/100187505/specs.html
It said my truck Curb Weight: 6095 lbs.
Gross Weight: 8800 lbs.

Gross is 9000 and after I got it and went to weight station it was in the 7000-7200 range with a little fuel....

They are only off by about 1100lbs
J

I was thinking the same thing. Put the slider on the trailer and then you have opened up alot more cargo area that you would not have with a tag.

Also, I am not understanding the thought process of having a cargo capacity of +/- 3000Lbs. Why would the goose tounge weight be more than that? If it is, you need another axle on the trailer. Or move the axles farther forward.

You can register your truck to have 25,999 lb tags on it before needing a CDL. My truck has 20,000 lbs on it. Truck is a regular cab F250 2wd with the 7.3 Diesel. Truck, Fuel, and 2 passengers weighs in right at 6,000 lbs.

Legaly my trailer and cargo can be another 14,000 lbs. (I cannot remember what my 23' car trailer weighs, but I know I can put two trail vehicles on it and still be OK). Another example is my 4 horse gooseneck trailer. 4 horses = 4,400 lbs plus trailer.

Gooseneck all the way, This trailer is 25.3 inchs of deck and is rated for 12 tons. With this load, i was 9200 on the truck (around 4000 front and 5200 Rear) and the other 13470lbs on the trailer, I figure that to be just under 2000lbs pin weight. perfectly acceptable. With my 26ft Enclosed bumper pull and 3200 lb race car i am over on my rear axle before i even load the pit boxes. I can take our 38ft gooseneck and put it places that i can't even think about getting the bumper pull trailer.
ai127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_dieselram_2006_uwharrieloaded.jpg

Didn't say a slide in in the bed, Larrys is on the front of his trailer, and I will add, is an awesome set up!

Mine gets used for surf fishing and toting the horses around. I dont think I'd have much luck getting a gooseneck on and off the outer banks. LOL Might be fun to try though. Hell, with the CTD up front momentum is your friend a lot of times anyway, much less towing something. Never have stuck it but, I've had to back and get a running start a couple times to get through the sugar sand going to the base of the dune.

I've seen a few setups like that, pretty cool. I also saw one with a popup sideways on the nose. Nothing like a 16' front porch on your camper. If I only did wheeling I'd probaly do something along those lines.

On the subject of pin weight, my old 6 horse slant load had a static pin weight of 1150 unloaded. Loaded it would vary but be in the 3400 range. (depending on where the big ones were) My old 30' equipment trailer would run as high as 5K depending on where the load was parked and the static pin was only 750. Point being, shifting your load 5' can make a massive difference in pin weight and ride quality.

Also, I am not understanding the thought process of having a cargo capacity of +/- 3000Lbs. Why would the goose tounge weight be more than that? .

I don't know who you were asking that of but I will try:\
So if you have a cargo cap of 3000lbs bottom line that is what you can carry. Yep I know you know that but a lot of people forget that is the max cargo to stay in the limits set by the maker..(not really what it can do) when you start adding stuff like 2-3 people and gear for camping, plus tools and coolers that 3000lbs goes away quick, add 35 gal diesel, even faster..
than add a GN with a pin of 1500-2000- your over the limit.
Just because it said you have a cargo of 3000lbs does not mean you can put a 3000lb pin and add people and gear.

You can register your truck to have 25,999 lb tags on it before needing a CDL. My truck has 20,000 lbs on it. Truck is a regular cab F250 2wd with the 7.3 Diesel. Truck, Fuel, and 2 passengers weighs in right at 6,000 lbs.
Legaly my trailer and cargo can be another 14,000 lbs.
Tags are not what we are talking about it is the factory GVWR on the door of the truck. Yours should have ??? 8800 lbs for that year???
So if it is 8800lbs and your rig with 2 people is 6000 you have a cargo of 2800 lbs and if you add a pin of 2000 lbs it gives you 800 lbs for the camping gear, tools,dogs and so on.

My truck with a BP trailer and a GVWR of 9000 lbs when I go on a trip is always at 9500-10000 lbs Over the GVWR 500-1000 lbs. thinking at about 800-900 tw. If I went to a GN that would add about 1000lb to the truck and put it to 11000lb, 2000lb over the GVWR. I would need to find a way to move 2000lb to the trailer to stay at the 9000 GVWR of the truck.
If I loose 2000lbs off the truck that puts me + 1 or 2 and fuel then the dog.
For me I think I like the BP and keeping the gear in the truck not finding a way to put it on the trailer.
Again its not what the truck will do but the GVWR,you also have GTWR, and GCWR if you want to get into that. I know being over like I am is fine on the truck.

Jon

I was looking for my build sticker tonight(glove box) and saw a 2nd sticker.

My truck is 8600# GVWR and has a 'truck camper loading information' sticker inside the glove box door. I clearly says 'cargo weight rating 2269LBS with a work body thats +800 (over a stock bed).

I was looking for my build sticker tonight(glove box) and saw a 2nd sticker.
My truck is 8600# GVWR and has a 'truck camper loading information' sticker inside the glove box door. I clearly says 'cargo weight rating 2269LBS with a work body thats +800 (over a stock bed).
Sounds correct. Have you ever weighed it?
My point to all of this is this, I think it sucks that a 3/4 ton truck like mine or any other one that 4x4 4door or extended cab with people fuel and a trailer with a tougue wt around 1000lbs is at its limit.:shaking:
Dad just got a Maga cab 4x4 :bounce: and a camper (5wheel) and with the hitch camper and fuel and 2 people it is at the 9000 gvwr for the truck, :lol: that sucks...... It could be a Exploder 4 people and over the GVWR.......
:confused:

Back