H1 valve stem options

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
I have 12 bolt H1s on my rig with PVC inserts.

I’m really tired of breaking off the $50 valve core things. Even with covers welded to the stud to protect them I’ve broken 2. I plan to add rock rings soon to fight this, which will require 45* adapters. So far, based on talking to Andy at Trail Worthy Fab, the best and cheapest option is to do away with that hex shaped core, weld the hole shut, flap disk smooth, then drill and tap it to accept the adapter schrader valve.

That’s all fine and dandy, and save money, but I’m not crazy about having to drill thru weld material and then tap it. Has anyone had any luck just putting a rubber valve stem in these style wheels? I’ve read about it but it’s all confusing and the threads are so old many of the links don’t work for parts referenced.

Andy told me it can be done but it’s hard because the rim is so thick. I’d love to weld the hole shut, and then put a regular valve stem somewhere else.

Drilling through weld sucks but why not just put a regular valve stem or one the bolts through the rim?

Drilling through weld sucks but why not just put a regular valve stem or one the bolts through the rim?

Because it is a square hole. But I gathered from Pirate that some people used a step bit to drill out and make it round and was able to find a larger valve stem to fit the larger round hole.

Because it is a square hole. But I gathered from Pirate that some people used a step bit to drill out and make it round and was able to find a larger valve stem to fit the larger round hole.

I was saying weld it up and re-drill for 29/64 or 5/8 valve stems. If the square is less than 5/8 across corners than you could just drill it with a step bit.

I can bring the wheel that I broke at Chocco and we can do some investigating on it in the near future

its been a while but i drilled mine and installed flush mounts...works great until you lose the fill adapter

I run rubber on my H1's. They came like that. I guess the 8 bolt ones did?

They do make a bigger valve core in rubber, I just drilled the holes on mine regular siz
I was saying weld it up and re-drill for 29/64 or 5/8 valve stems. If the square is less than 5/8 across corners than you could just drill it with a step bit.

This you want a tr415 valve stem, not a regular tr413
2019-07-09 13.10.16.jpg
2019-07-09 13.11.41.jpg

@Tim C did you use a step bit?

I’m assuming that will still work with rock rings since it is flexible?

I opened mine up with a carbide Burr so I could make sure the holes stayed centered in the square, then I used a screw in stem like this, but it just barely seals around the square opening. The bigger rubber stem would work better I think.
2019-07-09 13.14.51.jpg

It clears my rock ring, but I have to use an angled tire pressure gauge or old style Chuck, can't use a straight style to get to it without grinding the rock ring some.

Basically I have to use these
2019-07-09 13.18.17.jpg

Any good parts store or tire shop should stock them if you don't want to wait on an order. We have over 50 here.

Of course bygen you may be replying to the other thread about auto parts chain stores, lol.

Any good parts store or tire shop should stock them if you don't want to wait on an order. We have over 50 here.

Of course bygen you may be replying to the other thread about auto parts chain stores, lol.

I believe I will order those large rubbers and me and @Chris_Keziah will have some fun...

The Orielly's up the road from the house has them in stock.

Just make sure that the rubber valve stem will clear the PVC inserts since it will stand more proud than the stock H1 nut does. If it doesn't clear, you can always cut out more of the insert to clear. Just make sure that it's oriented correctly when doing the final install.

Drill the hole bigger. Weld a thick washer around the outside centered over the hole. Inside of washer needs to be size of valve stem you want to use.

Back