ham radio advice requested

vanguard

You may guys remember me from this thread and last night I passed my technician level exam. I'm a ham! :smokin:
So right now I have a roof mount wilson 1000 antenna on my '03 taco for my CB. I'm not really happy with the setup. The it works well but there are downsides to being about 11' tall. Also, I find that I only really use the CB while wheeling so if my range went from 5 to 3 miles it wouldn't be a hardship. I want to use that existing hole for my ham antenna and move the wilson 1000 someplace lower.

1) Which dual band antenna would you recommend? (2m, 70cm)
2) I've been leaning toward the ICOM 208H. I'd like dual band and I think I can remote mount the control head nicely. The fact that the mic goes to the main unit instead of the control head is nice to me. Any concerns with this radio? (The reviews seem ok.)
3) Where would you mount my "roof mount" wilson 1000? Is there a nice bracket that would let me put it somewhere lower? Maybe opposite the radio antenna or on my truck's toolbox?
4) Feel free to talk about features in a radio that you really like. I see things like CTCSS decode/encode, 9600 BPS packet ready, ARTS, and ask myself if I'd really miss those things.

Well I don’t post on hear much but this is a topic I now pretty well so I will jump in.
You probably need an nmo mount antenna if you have a hole in your roof. I recommend comet antennas. I prefer antennas that are a single whip not pieces joined together they seam to break and not bend any.
I personally don't like icom but that’s just personal preference I prefer yaesu I know many people who love them.
just my .02
colby
kg4jfy
congrats on geting your technician ticket

I got the Larsen NMO 2/70SH on the recommendation of a few other wheelers. It's 19", and spring base, and only $35. Low gain, but also low profile.

You'll also need an NMO base (link) like the NMO K.

I run a Kenwood TM G707a in my rig. Its pretty good for a 2m/70cm dual band unit. I wanted it mostly for the fact that it was 6" wide and 2" tall. Also it is relativley cheap for its performance. Congrats on the tech license.

Elliott
KG4JJW

vanguard said:
If I bought the NMO 2/70SH and NMO K base would I be able to easily swap on an NMO 2/70B if I wanted more gain?

Yes. AFAIK, all the NMO stuff should swap.

I have the ICOM 207h, in a box...grrr. I need to get it out and try again but I bought it used and it has intermittent issues...etc. (Turns out they have a heating / cracking issue I found out recently)

OK....here is the biggest thing I WISH my dual bander had...was a CROSSREPEATER! I honestly wouldn't buy one without it (and the 208 doesn't have it) FT8800r from yaesu is a good example of crossbander. Almost no traffic on the 70cm/440 stuff to make it worth it otherwise. [Personally I am just getting a 2m rig next]

How this works...get yourself another handheld radio...say a dual bander 2m/440... set the dual bander in the taco to repeat from the 440 to a 2m frequency.

So what essentially happens is you have a handheld with say 5 watts, that you can have in your hands wandering down the trail some... that REPEATS over onto the 2m band from the rig using its 50-75watts of power! (And is $80 more than the 208h for that ability)

Basically a nice way of extending the handhelds out to the same power as your mobile rig in the taco.

I have the ICOM T2H (gigaparts.com) handheld, 2m only but TOUGH little rig. 6 watts...military grade body and it is my primary rig right now! I am actually hitting the gso repeater from Kernersville with it (6 watts!) so it works well for me.

I have used it all over URE talking to Bruce Hatton (and others)...and it was $99ish.

Ok...final thought...yaesu has a quad bander in the 4-500ish range I think? Might be interesting... ft-8900R $419

Personally I will get the IC V8000 next which is a 2m ONLY rig, but I want a good 75 watt rig for my tow rig etc. After preaching about crossband, I don't know how often I would use it and want a good 2m only. OR...I will get something like the 706MarkII "all kinds of bands"...and get my lazy butt to General/Extra license!

Thanks for the help. I've been torn between the ICOM 208H and the Kenwood TM-V708A.

The kenwood has some features that look useful over the icom

1) Dual receive - some guys swear this is important
2) Auto Simplex Checker - Let's you know if you can get off the repeater
3) Wireless remote control - Let's you turn up the volume on the HT or mobile unit using the radio, seems nice
4) Nicer display
5) Crossrepeater

It's downside is that it costs an extra $100 and it gives up 15 watts on 70cm compared to the ICOM. I think I'm just about sold on it. I might pull the trigger today.

Just in case anybody is interested, I pulled the trigger today. This is what I got.
KENWOOD TM-V708A 2M/440 FM XVCR (this is the radio)
LARSEN NMO- 2/70S 144/440 COIL & W270SHWHIP (this is a 19" whip)
LARSEN NMO-K MTG .5 (this is the mount for the whip above)
LARSEN TMB34B TRUNK L-BRACKET BLACK (this is a bracket for the new CB antenna location)
VALOR VS4 SMALL MOBILE EXT SPEAKER (cheap speaker)
LARSEN NMO-CAP B RAIN CAP FOR NMO BLACK (plugs the mount's hole if I need to remove antenna)

Just like wheeling, this radio stuff adds up. I hope the costs stop here. :)

Nope

now you need a set up at the house Power supply, beam ,mast ,guy wires, roter and control ,more coax, ect ect ect ect ext .....

Congrats on the ticket

73's

Greg

Sorry 'bout gettin' into this thread late but I'm glad to see you've joined the amateur radio family.

For those who haven't yet made the plunge, the first thing to keep in mind is that 90% of ham gear is low-to-middle consumer grade electronics, and as such, is subject to the ills of cost-cutting and throw-away manufacturing mentality. They're also equipped with a whole bunch of useless "geek" features that only complicate and obfuscate the basic programming and operating procedures.

The units that can brag about being Mil-Spec really only meet the basic Mil-Spec 800 requirements, so take that with a grain of salt. The single band units that are based on a manufacturer's commercial units is probably the better buy, but even that isn't always true. I have an ICOM V8000 which I think is a great little radio, and its best feature is that because its based on the commercial rig, it doesn't do anything but 2 meters. It's pretty basic and it works flawlessly. I like it.;)

Any dual band radio out there by ICOM,Yaesu, Kenwood, etc., is a pretty good unit, and right now the the Yaesu 7800 is the king for features and reliability and audio quality vs money spent. However, for all who play around with or are thinking of getting into ham gear, KEEP THIS IN MIND: in the world of inexpensive radios such as most amateur gear, you cannot judge one model of a particular brand by the performance and reliability of another. As SHINTON posted, the IC207H that he and I both have copies of is a great radio as long as it doesn't start to exhibit some of its quirks. So far mine has been reliable. As for the 208H which replaced it. that model supposedly has eliminated the problems of the 207, but we'll see. And yes, crossband repeat is a great feature so long as you know how to use it, but you have to go to the higher priced units to get that feature.

Antennas, well....how much forward gain do you need? For 99.9% of daily communicating, a shorter unity gain antenna will more than suffice. And to make it more bulletproof where there are trees, get it with a spring, BUT be aware that a spring is a mechanical joint and is subject to joint corrosion and resulting performance deterioration. You'll have to periodically attempt to clean the spring and its set screws to maintain performance, but good luck. I've been in the comm industry for decades and so far I've never bee able to keep any antenna with a spring operating optimally for more than a year or two.

Glad to see you didn't buy into the Comet antenna myth. Comet antennas are great antennas when new, possess a good bandwidth, and are relatively cost effective in the beginning. I even have a couple of 'em. Now that we got past that glowing report, Comet antennas are very stiff so as to not lie down in the wind at 65 MPH, which is why they perform so well on the open road, but in the woods....well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that characteristic is not desirable where there are trees. If you have to ask why you dont see 'em on commercial applications (public safety, business, etc), you've got to go back to that reliability issue under rough conditions.

I realize they have the spring-loaded lay-over joint for garage entry, etc, but are you going to ride around in the woods with your antenna in a position that doesn't allow you to use the radio? That spring loaded joint is an open invitation to corrosion and arcing when it gets contaminated by normal road grime, and there's no way to clean it out because it's not designed to be disassembled. In addition, Comet antennas have a whole bunch of additional component joints, and the more joints you have in a device that's fed 300+ volts at low current (no, I didn't stutter), the more chances you have for joint contamination, dissimilar metal corrosion, micro-arcing, and deterioration both physically and performance-wise.

Larsen NMO 2/70 dual banders with the capsule center load in the rod are subject to the same issues, though they don't have but a couple of joints. On the other hand, the Larsens with the exposed wound coil in the rod dont have any joints at the coil, but the coil will grab every small branch it comes in contact with. That little trait can rip it out of the mount before you can say, "Over," but you can buy it in black and put a nicely trimmed piece of black heat shrink around the coil, and Voila!, the problem is solved, and it doesn't look too bad.

All antennas suffer from these mechanical joint maladies, so the bottom line is that the fewer joints and connections an antenna has, the longer it will perform at its best.

Oh, I use a Larsen NMO 2/70 (black) with the exposed coil center load covered with heat shrink.

Thanks for the reply, even if I did pull the trigger already.

That larson antenna I bought has a spring. The site just had a generic picture so I can only hope that it's suitable for wheeling. The ICOM 8000 has a ton of fans. If it had a detachable head I'd of gone for it instead. However, I'm trying to be slick with my mounting so the detachable head was a big deal to me.

Now I just have to wait for it to come.

I'm definitely with you on the detachable control head thingie, but that's probably because my primary radios are MotherMoto and all are remote mount units. Newer vehicles just don't have a lot of places to mount radios, so remote mounting is very desirable these days. The Larsen will serve you well and is reliable. Every few months you'll need to loosen the set screw and pull the rod out and clean it off to keep the performance up to snuff. They capture road grime through capillary action, and whatever gets on the antenna rod in bad weather goes right into that joint. I use a squirt of tuner cleaner and a pipe cleaner to get into the rod hole and set screw hole and that seems to do the trick. I usually just wash the rod with soap and water to get the krud off. Road grime, especially winter road grime is semi-conductive and definitely affects antenna performance.

Glad to have you aboard the HAM train.
WX4CBH

I really hate I got into this late also.
I would have just added a 1/4 wave whip for 2m to the CB base...you may have been surprised.
One thing for certain...there are no absolutes when it comes to antennas, and usually, the simplest appraoch is the best.
The most i would have done would been to rplace the mount w/ a good quality NMO...regarless of manufacturer and used a 1/4 wave whip.
I agree w/ Bruce about the Comet stuff...amd in my opinion, Larsen is the same. Good, but not the best.
What is the best???....I ain't even gonna touch that one!

Matt- KF4ZGZ

Best for the buck? The 1/4 wave SS wire with a grommet and threaded NMO ring at the bottom that even Motorola sells for just 13 bucks. The cable mount and connector cost more than the antenna. The only joint it has is where the SS wire engages the center conductor on the NMO mount. An interesting side note to that is that with a full ground plane like the roof of a vehicle, the Q match for that antenna is so good that the ~20 inch length version for 136-152 mHz even resonates at 70 cm freqs (under 2:1 SWR for 440-449 mHz), so it'll suffice for a dual band antenna in most cases if it has that good ground plane.

Back