Have you ever seen this before?

fordwheelinman

Had a carb rebuilt for the old 78. Bolted it oh, best it's ever started, but idled high, had a weird sound. I put what I thought was 5 gal of ethanol free fuel in it (it was a stand alone pump, but who knows what the delivery guy put in the tank). Ran it a little and found egr port not covered but the carb adapter. It sat a few weeks. Had a block off plate made, put it on, started and ran awesome. Idled correctly, great throttle response, but spark knocked a little. Swapped tires on it, found out the power steering pump shit the bed, it sat a few weeks, put the pump on it, it fired up great, ran well, but dieseled, that's new, and didn't spark knock. Adjusted the idle mixture screws, moved the timing, it sat a few weeks. Cranked it back up, started like shit, didn't drive worth a damn, back fored through the intake. Let it sit about 30 minutes while I checked, and changed, a spark plug (it was nasty). Cranked it back up to move it out of the garage, stared and ran great. Oofdamae, what is going on here. It sits a little more. Starts better next time, but stumbles with throttle, son of a mothers father.....blew the accelerator pump. Checked the throttle movement by hand, accelerator pump doesn't move. Move it with a screw driver, shoots gas out the side of the pump.......ahhh biscuits. Pulled the fuel bowl off to replace the pump and.......

....Have you ever seen this before?
1000001169.jpg

Turns out the accelerator pump wasn't bad, the passage was blocked. That's when my brain caught up with reality and I noticed the metering block and fuel bowl looks to be disolving........damnitall.

What caused this and is the carb now just a paperweight like I fear it is?

Back