Heart Attack at 21

andysleds

For all of you out there that think it can't happen to you, well, it can.

My Girlfriend who is 21 years old had a heart attack yesterday at 5:15 am. Yeah, I know what you are thinking, it must have been drugs right? Wrong!! She is not on any drugs other than migrane meds and birth control. Well then, there must be hereditary heart disease.......nope!

For some reason her heart (which they said is very strong) had a spasm and collapsed an artery. Apparently it either casued a clot, or there was one already there in which is a heart attack.

As of this morning march 3rd, she is doing well and is expected to be home by Sunday. The broke up the clot and got things working again.

I am not one of those people who prays every night and believes in miracles,..... until now. This instance changed my entire outlook on life, and I hope that it changes yours too. please keep her in your prayers, her name is Kimberly and has a 3 year old beautiful daughter named Kiersten.

I'm so sorry to hear about that, and so glad to hear that she's doing well. Best wishes for her recovery and in the future.

It's probably the birth control. When my wife went on birth control it caused a clot. Sucks to hear it. I hope she gets to come home soon!

My first cousin died of one at age 36 and his mom (My blood aunt) died at 47 and her dad (My mom's dad) died at 57. For some reason I see a pattern? I have complete physicalls every 2 years....

I hope your girlfriend is doing fine!

This instance changed my entire outlook on life, and I hope that it changes yours too. please keep her in your prayers, her name is Kimberly and has a 3 year old beautiful daughter named Kiersten.

You got it.

Sorry to hear it - I know what a shock that is. My father passed away from a heart attack very unexpectedly in November...looking back I see a lot of warning signs, but he was already under a cardiologist's care, medicated, and living pretty healthily...
Glad she's ok, though...

I'm glad to hear that your girlfriend is recovering and doing better.

It is true, birth control can cause blood clots, high blood pressure and blockage of arteries. They tell women not to smoke because that increases the risk even more.

My wife is on th patch and the doctor told her not to sit down for too long periods of time for just that reason.

All types of birth control pills carry the risk... I've heard the patch is worse. Funny thing is, most doctors don't bother to tell people about the sitting for long periods (this includes flying)... I know lots of people who hear it third-hand from a friend and never heard it from a doctor after being prescribed the pill for years.

"Oral contraceptives, also called “the pill,†contains the hormones estrogen and progestin and is available in different hormone dosages. Oral contraceptives can reduce the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), ovarian cancer, benign ovarian cysts, endometrial cancer, and iron deficiency anemia. It does not protect against STDs or HIV. The pill may add to your risk of heart disease, including high blood pressure, blood clots, and blockage of the arteries, especially if you smoke. If you are over age 35 and smoke, or have a history of blood clots or breast, liver, or endometrial cancer, your doctor may advise you not to take the pill."

Back