Should we do a work WEEK or WEEKEND?

• Week, 7 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend, 3 days

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I will say now this is being posted way in advance. I talked with the Forest Service during the past work day about this idea that I had for a while. My original idea was just a weekend, but I was told if we wanted to we could even do a week. But I think a week would be a bit much. So to decide I am going to put it to a vote and make a decision from there based on what the Forest Service needs/wants.

My original idea was doing heavy equipment work with the Forest Service during the off-season when they usually have a contractor out there to save them money. But what I was told by Rodney and Pete is they would be able to use the effort much more at the beginning of Summer before it gets too hot.

The logic is that the contractor(s) will work during the off-season to bring the trails back up to spec. Then our work week/weekend in the summer during the peak season will hold them over until the winter closure when things die down.

This will include filling in ruts/erosion, repairing water bars, cleaning out trail drainage ditches etc etc. At the minmum we will need one small-medium size piece of heavy equipment. A Bobcat/Terramite/Etc comes to mind. Since we will be able to tackle the entire trail system the thought process will be the more the merrier. Anything up to a small bulldozer could be used.

At the same time we have to keep it in mind we will be working during the peak season. So its going to be busy, and we will need to work around the crowds or rigs etc.

Anyone that wants to donate use of equipment will be greatly appreciated. If you want to come up and operate your FEL or what ever you have more power to you. But we will at least need a weekend rental of a piece of equipment so we have a guaranteed option. And even beyond that there will be a lot of tools/supplies that will be needed.

So lets get the ball rolling early because before you know it it will be summer 2011. :beer:

I could/handle do a long weekend Fri,Sat,Sun,Mon. That's about as much as I could handle.

Back