HEI distributor ...PIP signal to run pump advise please

marty79

Hey everyone, working on this 94 F150 4.9L dual tanks truck. Just finished doing the Carb swap (DON"T ask why, customer wanted it for personal reasons lol)
I used a HEI distributor and it'll run for 30seconds off the fuel pump prime but then I realized without a PIP signal from original distributor, the EEC/Computer won't keep the pump running SO...
can I run a wire from the HEI distributor Tach signal to "trick" the Computer to keep the pumps running? or is there any other way to trick the computer to keep the pumps running? Thank you for your help

Why not just run the fuel pump through a dedicated circuit and bypass and computer controls?
Would be simpler and easy to make standalone,
that's an option, I just was thinking 1 wire to the new distributor would "trick" the computer since that's the only signal it looks for is from the distributor to turn pumps on after running and I like that the computer turns the voltage down which will keep them working like factory to preserve their life as originally designed?!?!

Why not just run the fuel pump through a dedicated circuit and bypass any computer controls?
Would be simpler and easy to make standalone
Makes to much sense to do it that way.

I'm fairly well aquainted with Ford EEC-IV, I don't think it will be that easy using the HEI to trigger fuel pump operation. IIRC- the PIP signal is generated by the vanes of the dizzy passing through the stator in the dizzy. It sees 6 "openings" and knows a new cylinder requires fire. As long as it sees this, the fuel pump stays on.
Granted it's been since 1995 when I was in Ford ASSET traning school that I actually researched that. In the field we just replaced the module and stator when there was no fire.

Or just wire a dedicated circuit. The pumps will live off 12-14 volts all day long without issue.

I'm fairly well aquainted with Ford EEC-IV, I don't think it will be that easy using the HEI to trigger fuel pump operation. IIRC- the PIP signal is generated by the vanes of the dizzy passing through the stator in the dizzy. It sees 6 "openings" and knows a new cylinder requires fire. As long as it sees this, the fuel pump stays on.
Granted it's been since 1995 when I was in Ford ASSET traning school that I actually researched that. In the field we just replaced the module and stator when there was no fire.

Or just wire a dedicated circuit. The pumps will live off 12-14 volts all day long without issue.
Thank you sir, that was well explained of why it wont work.

If someone wanted to...(because why not)...you could add a ferrite collar and hall effect pickup and recreate a petronix style distributor set up and trigger the fuel pump, I suppose.
I mean if you really wanted a way to do it.

But for a man who values the simple things in life like replacing a good functioning EFI with a Carb...Id either grab a key on circuit and power that bish up.
Or run it skraight off the batry, through a toggle switch...el cheapo plastic with lighted flipper... and hide that bitch and call it anti theft.

Back