HELP ASAP Starting a 89 Jeep Cherokee with no key.. locksmith, dealer cut key, etc!!!

Tim88XJ

Well me and a buddy a owners of an 88 Jeep cherokee. The other night one of his friends broke the ignition key off in the rear hatch. None of them are very mechanically inclined, otherwise I would just have them remove the lock cylinder and put in a new one. I am down in wilmington and couldn't get back till either later this week or next weekend. To make matters worse it is in a parking lot at NC State and will be towed shortly after tommorrow morning.

Is there any chance that a dealer would be able to cut a key by the vin number? Any idea how much a locksmith would charge to go on site and cut a key? Anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations?

Let me know ASAP

-Tim

Dealer may require title/ registraition as verification of ownership, and should be able to cut key from VIN

lock smith would be in the $50-$75 range from what I have seen charged in the past.

Kevin

Have the title in hand, but I was concearned with the age as to not being able to cut a key. It uses the old GM saginaw style column. When they changed over to chrysler they phased all the AMC stuff out...

any suggestions on decent locksmiths?

-Tim

StudNuts said:
why not just energize the ign wire and toss a screw driver over the starter relay.

Still gotta unlock the steering wheel so he can drive it...

With normal hand tools, a steering wheel puller, and a lock plate tool for GM columns, you will be able to install a replacement cylinder and key. You can buy the cylinder and key from your local Auto Zone. You can also rent the needed tools from them as well.

What parking lot is this in??

Tim88XJ said:
Well me and a buddy a owners of an 88 Jeep cherokee. The other night one of his friends broke the ignition key off in the rear hatch. None of them are very mechanically inclined, otherwise I would just have them remove the lock cylinder and put in a new one. I am down in wilmington and couldn't get back till either later this week or next weekend. To make matters worse it is in a parking lot at NC State and will be towed shortly after tommorrow morning.

Is there any chance that a dealer would be able to cut a key by the vin number? Any idea how much a locksmith would charge to go on site and cut a key? Anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations?

Let me know ASAP

-Tim

As far as i knew you had to be able to turn the key on to remove the lock cylinder. Atleast thats how it was on the 2 Cherokees I have worked one. Plus I would have to mess with the shifter to get it to be able to shift into gear as well.

The jeep is in Valpark behind the Dan Allen lot from what I understand, I am not very familiar with the state area.

-Tim

Just take the Cylender out and replace it. it is a GM colom

and no you do not have to trn the key to remove it

take out the passenger door lock... there is a key code on it... take it to a locksmith and get your key for 2.50... have a nice day

Back