Hitch basket laws?

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...

Is there a legal maximum hitch basket width like there is for trailers?
I'm considering building a hitch basket that will double as a motorcycle carrier & my bike is ~100" long & weighs ~650# so it will need to be stout. I basically want to build a modular frame I can bolt my motorcycle stand or an expanded metal basket to. Since my F250 is ~80" wide it would stick out 10" on each side (I would add reflective tape & 7-pin trailer lights), I just don't want to raise any flags or be illegal. I don't want to get a dedicated motorcycle trailer either since I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying one, but could justify building a hitch basket capable of holding 1,000#.

Pretty sure I’ve got exactly what you need sitting next to my RV right now. I bought it off of Craigslist. Motorcycle carrier with the ramp. It’s designed to be used with a Tri-Hitch setup. As in it plugs into your normal receiver and 2 additional smaller ones. It’ll keep the bike from rocking if you only had it plugged into one hitch. I even bought the square tubing to mount it all up on my RV. Then the wife decided she didn’t wanna ride if I took it on a trip. So I abandoned the idea. You could always just make a basket to bolt to it.
AD06B761-593C-43EC-AA07-029F922B5D5B.jpeg

@Junkyard Dog My thoughts exactly! I just want to find it in black & white since most hitch baskets are 4-5' wide and I can't find a motorcycle carrier that's 100" wide & will support 1,000#.

@BigSouth Do you know how much weight its rated for & the length? How much would you want for it?
If I build one, I was going to use turnbuckles to keep it from rocking in the hitch.

@BigSouth Do you know how much weight its rated for & the length? How much would you want for it?
If I build one, I was going to use turnbuckles to keep it from rocking in the hitch.
I’ll look it over tonight and see if it has some labels on it for reference. I gave $150 for it because the original owner just wanted it out of his floor. He paid over $1000 for it new. If I got my $150 back, it’d suit me. It even has lights already mounted to it.

The only thing you'll likely find is 102" max width. I doubt anyone would ever bother you.

Here’s what I found…

Here’s what I found…

So that carrier also doubles as a trailer receiver extension?!?o_O Holy fawk, who writes their liability language and clauses on the fine print?
Hitch
Class
Representative ImageCommon ApplicationsReceiver
Size
GTW Capacity
(lbs.)
TW Capacity
(lbs.)
WD Capacity
(lbs.)
WDTW Capacity (lbs.)
Class 1
Class 1 Hitch for Car
Cars and crossovers1-1/4-inchUp to 2,000Up to 200----
Class 2
Class 2 Hitch for Minivan
Cars, crossovers and minivans1-1/4-inchUp to 3,500Up to 350----
Class 3
Class 3 Hitch for SUV
Crossovers, vans, SUVs and trucks2-inchUp to 8,000Up to 800Up to 12,000Up to 1,200
Class 4
Class 4 Hitch for Truck
Trucks and SUVs2-inchUp to 10,000Up to 1,000Up to 12,000Up to 1,200
Class 5 - Xtra Duty
Class 5 Hitch for Truck
Trucks and SUVs2-inch16,000 to 17,0002,400 to 2,55017,0002,400 to 2,550

Most RV hitches are a class 4 or 5. The extended leverage and the way most of them are cobbled to some sort of frame extension is very sobering. I have modified several Class A coaches hitches for this very reason. I cant help but giggle a little about that set up. A 400 to 500lb heavy cruiser or a 700 lb big ol Harley bouncing down the road with a small trailer full of whatever is sketchy.

So that carrier also doubles as a trailer receiver extension?!?o_O Holy fawk, who writes their liability language and clauses on the fine print?
Hitch
Class
Representative ImageCommon ApplicationsReceiver
Size
GTW Capacity
(lbs.)
TW Capacity
(lbs.)
WD Capacity
(lbs.)
WDTW Capacity (lbs.)
Class 1
Class 1 Hitch for Car
Cars and crossovers1-1/4-inchUp to 2,000Up to 200----
Class 2
Class 2 Hitch for Minivan
Cars, crossovers and minivans1-1/4-inchUp to 3,500Up to 350----
Class 3
Class 3 Hitch for SUV
Crossovers, vans, SUVs and trucks2-inchUp to 8,000Up to 800Up to 12,000Up to 1,200
Class 4
Class 4 Hitch for Truck
Trucks and SUVs2-inchUp to 10,000Up to 1,000Up to 12,000Up to 1,200
Class 5 - Xtra Duty
Class 5 Hitch for Truck
Trucks and SUVs2-inch16,000 to 17,0002,400 to 2,55017,0002,400 to 2,550

Most RV hitches are a class 4 or 5. The extended leverage and the way most of them are cobbled to some sort of frame extension is very sobering. I have modified several Class A coaches hitches for this very reason. I cant help but giggle a little about that set up. A 400 to 500lb heavy cruiser or a 700 lb big ol Harley bouncing down the road with a small trailer full of whatever is sketchy.
I’d personally never use it as a hitch extension except maybe in a flat tow type configuration. The fine print says to refer to your motor homes guidance. Like you said, there are some sketchy setups out there in the RV industry. Mine has a full frame from the factory. Not some bolt on extension. It’s rated for a 7500# trailer with 750# of tongue weight. That carrier weighs ~130# and my bike only weighs ~320# full of all my stuff. Well within limits.

I’ll look it over tonight and see if it has some labels on it for reference. I gave $150 for it because the original owner just wanted it out of his floor. He paid over $1000 for it new. If I got my $150 back, it’d suit me. It even has lights already mounted to it.
SOLD! You going to be around this weekend or next?

Back