Hot Wiring a Chevy Truck (no im not gonna steal one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Pickin up a truck tommorow, 98 chevy half ton, anyway previous owner lost the key, how would i go about runnin it? From what I've heard you have to show proof of ownership to a locksmith to have another key made and I'm getting this truck as a parts truck so no title i could use to show proof of ownership. So i figure im just gonna have to cut some wires and crank it up that way, any ideas?

you gotta break the steering wheel lock to steer the thing anyway...once you do that you can start it with a screw driver...

wel, as soon as you tamper with the ignition lock, you will trip the anti theft.

and then you are SOL, if you do not have a key, get one made.

YES being a '98 it will have anti theft, to my knowledge there isn't an easy way around it, hell, even when resetting it with a GM scan tool it takes 10-15 minutes with out disturbing anything, and you still need the keys. (and you also have to communicate with the PCM and the GM mainframe in Detroit)

the '98 uses a different system than the earlier one with the resistor in the key (VATS)

Re-progam the computer to eliminate VATS.

Step #1
stick a flat blade screw driver in the key hole. Hit the end of said screwdriver with a BFH.

Step #2
Now try to turn screwdriver as if it were a key.

Step #3
If turns You are good to go

Step #4
If not o back to step #1 and repeat.

BTW this will not crank a 98, you need the chip in the key.
Any of the gms with the "wide" but on the key have a prox chip that has to be in the switch to start it. luckily all the prox chips are the same rf id.

Sooooo.... once you get it turning with the screwdriver and BFH use another gm key (like your trucks) in the slot and it should crank and fire (assuming its has all the necessaries for such.)

didnt reply quick enough.

I though '99 was the first year for VATS. if it is a VATS truck, just go to the chevy dealer and get a replacement key.

Ricky,
#1 The parts guy at the stealership doesnt care about the trucks history. He isnt calling the feds to set up a sting. Tell him the truth(you are buying a parts truck from the 3rd owner since title and just need to crank th dman thing. If it is wrecked take a few pictures for support, with a little silver tongue you can get what you need)

#2 if the truck has a shady past you owe it to thee original owner to do the right thing. Just imagine if your precious shebeastus was stolen and dude was buying it in a few years. Youd already have the ins. money but it would still be nice to know where it turned up.

98 has passkey II, correct? easy enough to bypass, just do a google search... there are a few options. then you just break the cylinder like anything else, or have a non chipped key cut from the vin.

or, just take the vin to a gm dealer and get a vats key cut. iirc, most vats keys are ~30 bucks. some places will require proof of ownership, a lot won't in my experience.

sounds like to me you're getting into a shady deal in the first place. i sure wouldn't be broadcasting the whole no title getting it from a mexican thing on here.

might just try the dealership for a new key, 30 bucks is no big deal

------------------------------------

Did some reasearchin on the passkey 2 thing found this stuff:

http://www.autoalarmpro.com/gm

so if i get the dodad form the above link for $50 bucks i can not only bypass the antitheft i can start it with the box too and not half to crack open the steering column?

****Edit: after looking it seems like the above box requires an initial startup with key to memorize its code an then will work

However this kit seems to be a splice in and go type deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pass...temQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ006QQitemZ160086153982

after looking it seems that there are several ebay options to choose from in the $25 range that bypass the vats or passkey 2 system that will not only enable me to run the truck but would be what someone would need for a vortec swap into your rig - simply search for a vats or passkey bypass

there were only about 10-15 resistor values used with passkey II iirc. find out the values, go buy them from radio shack for a few cents each, and wire them in line from the ignition switch until you get the correct one. bust the ignition, or get a non chipped key cut based on the vin.

still, your easiest option is going to be trying to get a vats key cut first. try a few different places, you can usually find somewhere that won't require proof of ownership.

edit: yes, that module on ebay will work. i guarantee it's just a resistor box, he's probably got access to which resistor value the vehicle uses based on the numbers you give him.

Pickin up a truck tommorow, 98 chevy half ton, anyway previous owner lost the key, how would i go about runnin it? From what I've heard you have to show proof of ownership to a locksmith to have another key made and I'm getting this truck as a parts truck so no title i could use to show proof of ownership. So i figure im just gonna have to cut some wires and crank it up that way, any ideas?
Bigbody - well from what he told me it was bought as a parts truck by him as well, from a mexican with no title so Im pretty sure getting a title for it would be impossible plus i dont want to have the vin run cause you never know where the mexican got it from and i don't want men with dark sunglasses and badges showing up to take my parts truck away from me . . . . . .
(by the way I'm half cuban so I can make fun of Mexicans or any other latino persons with no worry of recourse :lol: )
Will - what do I do to do that? I mean i can start smashing stuff no prob but i dont wanna smash something important
tru but i mean just about everyone on here has bought a parts vehicle with no title at one point or another, i think this is my 8th no title vehicle
might just try the dealership for a new key, 30 bucks
From what you have said on here. Ricky, I would walk away from it.

Big Ricky

So this is your 8th one with no title and you don't ask questions?
I can help you out with it.
How can I get up with you sometime in the am Friday.
I will be in my office from 7 -12.
Got some people that I work with that would like to help and also get some more info on these deals.
Can get us at the NCDOT / DMV main office down town.

guys come on, plenty of you on here can't say you havn't bought parts vehicles with no titles, give me a break, its not like I'm promoting anything illegal or anything that is not done by the people on this board on a regular basis.

If i knew for a fact it was stolen I would not mess with it, but I don't, i don't plan on driving the vehicle on the road, all I want to do is sell it for parts and use some of the parts myself, i don't need a title nor do I really care about it.

I mean i know i've sold a few prominent members on this board vehicles with no titles and have bought vehicles with no tittles from other prominent members. I'm sorry but trying put me in the wrong and single me out for this is a little ridiculous IMO.
Don't know any other way to say it other then what has been said. Don't matter what you are doing with it and don't care if you need a title or not if you get something that is hot it will make for a real bad time. Would you want someone cutting up one of your trucks for parts and selling it off?
BTW I'm being as nice as I can. As I sit drinking a beer looking for a Jeep for a friend that in a SHP and wanting to get in to wheeling we found your post. He wanted to call DMV and make sure that it gets checked out and what do you do come back with more BS when I try to save your POS but and say let me take care of it. When will you grow up and learn when to stop running your trap. No one needs to know all the ins and outs that you gave....All I can say is you need to watch your back side I did what I could and that was it.

ricky, go to the DMV with the VIN and get a vehicle history report, its $1 I think. That way you know one way or the other, and you've covered your ass

gadget - dammit, your right in a ways, and i appreciate the backup, but im still annoyed by getting called out for it.

LOL, right in a way ? No, he's right all the way.

one day you'll figure out that always trying to take the cheap easy way out is gonna bite you in the ass.

I hope for your sake it's only a money lesson, some of the crap you've mouthed about could well get you or someone else killed, hurt or in some other deep shit you'll wish you never knew the likeness of.

Remember, any criminal event you my get acccused/convicted of now, will haunt you for the rest of your life. how would a criminal conviction effect your chosen career path ?

think about that

Good luck ! That truck could well lead you to a felony possesion rap, can you live with it ?

gadget - dammit, your right in a ways, and i appreciate the backup, but im still annoyed by getting called out for it.
ITs like this and then I'm going to bed......
Your not getting called out, or I would be at your place now...
Never said getting a truck for parts was wrong... never
Never said you needed a title.........
YOu do need to know the history to cover your but, you want to spend the next few years in the pin with bubba being your best friend or are you to young to think it can happen to you?
To much info can sink a ship Like "you never know where the mexican got it from and i don't want men with dark sunglasses and badges showing up to take my parts truck away from me"

That sounds like you think its hot and makes me think its hot.

No need for junk like this in a place like this.

You had one or two questions ask them no need to tell the world the rest of the story.

BTW as you get older it will help you in life if you don't think of things as you did like "I mean i know i've sold a few prominent members on this board vehicles with no titles and have bought vehicles with no titles from other prominent members" Thats called rolling over and if you go down they do to. Just because someone else did it does not make it correct. Later when you get a job if you say stuff like that you may get walking papers fast.
Do yorself a favor and get the vin checked out so I do not need to send you a file.
No go to bed its late..............:rolleyes:

LOL, right in a way ? No, he's right all the way.
one day you'll figure out that always trying to take the cheap easy way out is gonna bite you in the ass.
I hope for your sake it's only a money lesson, some of the crap you've mouthed about could well get you or someone else killed, hurt or in some other deep shit you'll wish you never knew the likeness of.
Remember, any criminal event you my get acccused/convicted of now, will haunt you for the rest of your life. how would a criminal conviction effect your chosen career path ?
think about that
Good luck ! That truck could well lead you to a felony possesion rap, can you live with it ?

With the info he has put out there:shaking:
30 min could have 5-10 DVM guys going part by part and looking numbers....3-4 sets of a chop shop for them and you said 8
This is his chance to make sure he is in line.
#1 Make sure you run the vin before the truck is in you hands....
#2 get a bill of sale so if there is something fishy then you have a name and address and phone

"I mean i know i've sold a few prominent members on this board vehicles with no titles and have bought vehicles with no titles from other prominent members" Thats called rolling over and if you go down they do to.

Yea that was the reason i went back and deleted the posts I don't want to implicate anyone else or the the board itself.

Yea I know, already has a couple times, but nothin bad yet . . . . . keep my fingers crossed

lol all this was for naught anyway, just got an email back from the guy who makes the reprogammer kits, 98 vortec chevy truck has passlock 3, so to get the VATS turned off you gotta get the computer reprogrammed as if you were doin a complete swap.

Or i could just slip this dealership guy I know a couple green notes and get a key made :driver:

JUST KIDDING!!! chill, lol :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back