How come this forum is empty?

Clubbs

I used to enjoy scrolling through all the great places to wheel here. Then plan my own adventures to Kairos, GER, ivy, bear wallow and so on. Was @77GreenMachine holding this together and now that he's galavanting around all over the country everyone else is sitting at home watching their rigs drip oil in the shop?

I need more places to wheel and this was the data zone for new finds. So what's up or are all you cool kids secretly planning adventures on the secret channel.

I used to enjoy scrolling through all the great places to wheel here. Then plan my own adventures to Kairos, GER, ivy, bear wallow and so on. Was @77GreenMachine holding this together and now that he's galavanting around all over the country everyone else is sitting at home watching their rigs drip oil in the shop?

I need more places to wheel and this was the data zone for new finds. So what's up or are all you cool kids secretly planning adventures on the secret channel.
Yea…. @77GreenMachine we need pics, not YouTube links lol 😂

Hey I barley post YouTube links, only when they’re relevant here lol. I don’t post here much cause I figure most here don’t really care what I’m up to and if they do they’ll check it out on other platforms. I’m also just enjoying the crap out of this adventure and not on my phone nearly as much. Most of what I post on social media is scheduled in advance.

I think @Tails is right, this place has ups and downs.

Hey I barley post YouTube links, only when they’re relevant here lol. I don’t post here much cause I figure most here don’t really care what I’m up to and if they do they’ll check it out on other platforms. I’m also just enjoying the crap out of this adventure and not on my phone nearly as much. Most of what I post on social media is scheduled in advance.

I think @Tails is right, this place has ups and downs.
Well I don’t have social media so I need some better updates lol

Over the years I have learned this forum comes and goes. It gets real hot for a while then real cold. I’m just assuming we are at a cold time.
Having moderated this particular branch of the collective for over a decade... I can tell you that it's been declining rapidly over the past 5 years.
10 years ago there were dozens of monthly "open" events, like MudDevils @ the playground, BDBs @ "The Farm" & "The FLATs", and dozens of annual URE/Tellico rides...

NOW:
Maybe folks/rigs have outgrown the "local" wheeling, preferring to hit other SE locales (WindRocks, GER, AOD, Kaos, Kairos, Harlan, etc.)?
Lot's group/club rides... but most give little/no advanced notice (at least only reported here after the fact)... my WAG is because some of these venues limited resources and opening it up to a zillion folks may keep their "group"/members from getting a site/cabin *OR* they don't want to deal with chronic shi-thead's showing up ill prepared (personally/rigs) and spend the day babysitting/recovering them vs. wheeling? One group I wheel always with had a family of 5-6 show in a single rig, no cage, no restraints for any (including the kids), no recover gear/winch points, steering box ziptied on, etc. and we finally had to tell them NO MORE due to not wanting to see the kids hurt/worse and spending countless hours fixing their band-aided crap trail side...

I also admin another Jeepster/Commando Club forum, along with admin their FB site and we've seen a sharp decline on the forums/HUGE increase on the FB side... bringing a million questions that have been answered countless times over 20 years (example: "What the largest tire I can fit with a lift?" and "What's the best 'some random part' for cheap?"), but nobody searches...

From my perspective, with The Flats, Shop, DPG, Farm, etc closing, there aren't really any open rides anymore. Folks may wanna meet up at URE, but that's far from an NC4x4 thing. Our yearly get together is the exception.
@Caver Dave is right about another thing. When I go to a destination park like GER, Harlan, Windrock, Chocco, etc, I want my crew with me. Ones I know have their rigs right and prepared accordingly.
You won't see many open invites to join on those type rides.

EDIT
to clarify. You won't see many open invites FROM MANY AT ALL to join rides at destination places. My experience has been people want to wheel with folks who have proven to have their rigs in tip top shape prior to a ride like that. Not a judgement thing. But rather a best use of time thing.

Last edited:
I think the vast majority of younger folks do not visit forums. We had a new guy start in my group at work a few years ago. Mid 20's guy with an older YJ. He was all about the Failbook wheeling sites. Didn't have any interest in going on forums.

From my perspective, with The Flats, Shop, DPG, Farm, etc closing, there aren't really any open rides anymore.
+ Callalantee. All of those places were 2.5 hours or less from my house. I miss those days.

I think the vast majority of younger folks do not visit forums. We had a new guy start in my group at work a few years ago. Mid 20's guy with an older YJ. He was all about the Failbook wheeling sites. Didn't have any interest in going on forums.
And that's why the same questions get asked day after day on FB groups instead of finding the pirate thread from 2001 that answered your question...

When I go to a destination park like GER, Harlan, Windrock, Chocco, etc, I want my crew with me. Ones I know have their rigs right and prepared accordingly.

For an opposing perspective, my crew shrank and shrank until the point I was (and still am) looking for another group to wheel with. I used this forum as an opportunity to meet those groups. I fully understand where you're coming from though and try to make sure I am not the thorn in the side of whatever group I'm with.

Duane

From my perspective, with The Flats, Shop, DPG, Farm, etc closing, there aren't really any open rides anymore. Folks may wanna meet up at URE, but that's far from an NC4x4 thing. Our yearly get together is the exception.
@Caver Dave is right about another thing. When I go to a destination park like GER, Harlan, Windrock, Chocco, etc, I want my crew with me. Ones I know have their rigs right and prepared accordingly.

aka Jody hates us folk 😂

aka Jody hates us folk 😂
On the contrary. I thoroughly enjoy wheeling (riding bikes too) with all skill and build levels. However, when the rider/wheeler waits until 15 minutes into the ride to remember to address that squeak, leak or clunk they've know about for a month, that's BS. Breakage happens to us all. But unpreparedness is highly disrespectful of others in attendence.

I know the crowd I used to go with is down to 1 or 2 trips to URE a year. Other than that I don't have a trailer so I won't drive 5hrs to wheel somewhere harder than URE and not be able to make it home. Also I'm at a point where I think my rig would do good in harder places(finally) but with 4 young kids I don't see being able to take off for 5 days to go wheel somewhere far away.

On the contrary. I thoroughly enjoy wheeling (riding bikes too) with all skill and build levels. However, when the rider/wheeler waits until 15 minutes into the ride to remember to address that squeak, leak or clunk they've know about for a month, that's BS. Breakage happens to us all. But unpreparedness is highly disrespectful of others in attendence.
I wanted shit talking back. Not an actual response.

Same reason I ride dirt bikes with a small group of friends. You know their skill level, you know how they ride, and it mesh’s well for a good day of getting away.

I wanted shit talking back. Not an actual response.

Same reason I ride dirt bikes with a small group of friends. You know their skill level, you know how they ride, and it mesh’s well for a good day of getting away.
I'm a delicate flower. Be gentle

I know the crowd I used to go with is down to 1 or 2 trips to URE a year. Other than that I don't have a trailer so I won't drive 5hrs to wheel somewhere harder than URE and not be able to make it home. Also I'm at a point where I think my rig would do good in harder places(finally) but with 4 young kids I don't see being able to take off for 5 days to go wheel somewhere far away.

Once or twice a year? As close as we are I'd be down to hit uwharrie once a month lol.

Duane

I agree with a lot fo what has been said. FB has really pulled people away from forms. If I'm after tech I search for it or post about it. If I'm going for a ride I generally post it on FB and see who can tag along. Sometimes I'll stalk peoples build threads and crash their shake down runs but that isn't too often. I'm going to Harlan for the weekend before the 4th for the anual NAXJA ride but other than that I don't have any planned rides. I will be going to URE to see the new trail and will likely post in here to see who can come out. No idea when.

All valid reasons posted. I've never showed up to a posted ride for fear of being the one holding up the ride. @CLRracer joined us on our trip to GER and we rode within the limits of our group which was far below his rigs capabilities... But Duane was a good sport about it and it was a great weekend.

Im not on other forms of social media so this and some YouTube channels has been my source of trail vetting. Haven't heard of KAOS or AOD that @Caver Dave posted above so I'll look into those parks.

Just an amateur twice a year destination wheeler looking for more east coast parks to try. Maybe one day I'll get to wheel on a more frequent schedule like all the rest of you pros... In the meantime I'll enjoy any postings in the past events forum so atleast I have some idea what I'm getting into before showing up.

I'm looking for people to ride with, I carry a welder with me so at least if my junk breaks I can stick it back together again!!! :D Can someone let me know when the next small wheeling group tryout is? :laughing:

Last edited:
All valid reasons posted. I've never showed up to a posted ride for fear of being the one holding up the ride. @CLRracer joined us on our trip to GER and we rode within the limits of our group which was far below his rigs capabilities... But Duane was a good sport about it and it was a great weekend.

Im not on other forms of social media so this and some YouTube channels has been my source of trail vetting. Haven't heard of KAOS or AOD that @Caver Dave posted above so I'll look into those parks.

Just an amateur twice a year destination wheeler looking for more east coast parks to try. Maybe one day I'll get to wheel on a more frequent schedule like all the rest of you pros... In the meantime I'll enjoy any postings in the past events forum so atleast I have some idea what I'm getting into before showing up.

Dude your jeep is on tons and 42s, I'm still on half tons and 37s so I was the underdog on that trip lol. I would've gone to Kairos earlier this year with you if I'd known about it. I'd be down to ride with you at Gulches, there is plenty there for rigs of all capabilities.

Duane

Dude your jeep is on tons and 42s, I'm still on half tons and 37s so I was the underdog on that trip lol. I would've gone to Kairos earlier this year with you if I'd known about it. I'd be down to ride with you at Gulches, there is plenty there for rigs of all capabilities.

Duane
Holler at me when y'all do. I like me some Dee-wayne. You alright in my book.

Back