How difficult to convert SM465 4WD to 2WD?

thecarman

I have the 2WD SM465 pulled from my rollback tow truck. It is in rough shape - didn't shift that well (I have driven other SM465s that shifted much smoother), and the input shaft got messed up by the pilot bushing.

Rather than having this trans rebuilt and input shaft replaced, I have a 4WD SM465 in excellent shape, and I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the 2WD output shaft and tailhousing to the good 4WD trans.

Is this a hard swap? Would I need special tools?

Do I need to order a gasket and seal kit if I do this? If so, where should I get it?

Thanks!
Richard

Not sure how similar the SM465 is to the SM420, but on the SM420 I was able to replace all of the bearings, remove the main shaft and idlier shaft all with basic tools and a basic puller. The bearings can all be put back on without a press. (the have to be installed with the shaft in the case) On the 420, the complete main shaft had to be removed to get the rear output part of the shaft out of the case.

thecarman said:
I have the 2WD SM465 pulled from my rollback tow truck. It is in rough shape - didn't shift that well (I have driven other SM465s that shifted much smoother), and the input shaft got messed up by the pilot bushing.

Rather than having this trans rebuilt and input shaft replaced, I have a 4WD SM465 in excellent shape, and I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the 2WD output shaft and tailhousing to the good 4WD trans.

Is this a hard swap? Would I need special tools?

Do I need to order a gasket and seal kit if I do this? If so, where should I get it?

Thanks!
Richard

Richard
Why not put a transfer case in it and shorten the drive shaft to give you a two low for pulling stuff around.
I use 4 low on the Dodge all the time towing and moving the trailers around and wish I had a two low to use for that..
You should have a transfer case in all your stuff correct.
Jon

You are right Jon - I would love to have 2-Low in it for the low gearing backing up the trailer, etc. I use that in my Suburban and Blazer (front hubs unlocked) all the time. But I'm trying to avoid having to mess around with crossmembers and stuff - I can't use the stock 2WD crossmember if I use a 4WD trans and T-case. I want to get this thing back on the road with as little hassle as possible, so would love to just bolt the stock trans back in.

But I'll think about it - see what crossmembers I have out of 4WD trucks, how they might fit, etc.

Richard im sure a regular GM 4x4 truck crossmember would fit/work, its a 3500 chassis ?

if not im sure fixing the tranny wouldnt be to hard, i have the tools if you want to bring it over after work one night...

Yep - its a 1977 C30 cab & chassis truck. I'll compare some of the 4WD crossmembers I have around and see if I have something that will match up easily. If I do, then I can stick in that good 4WD SM465 and an NP205.

If I can't get the 4WD crossmember to work out easily, I might just take you up on your offer to help swap the trans parts Mike - thanks!

Back