How to cut a leaf spring...

GONOVRIT

blue collar brotherhood
I'm building custom packs front and rear and I was wandering what would be the best way to do this, I have access to all kinds of tools and machinery...any input?

I used a chop saw too. Made like 8 cuts with no problem, and I'm still using that same cutting wheel.

Cut them all the time.

Chop saw or band saw.

No cussin' involved.

'cept when I twitch and snap a bandsaw blade.

Now, drilling them is a whole 'nother story.

I use my portaband, no problem. Drilling hasn't been a problem either, just did all four of my BDS springs due to the fact they come with a 5/16 center pin and I uped it to a 3/8 pin. Much easier to do one at a time though, but did it both ways.

hobie said:
Does the heat of a chop saw make a band saw a better idea?

J

About as broad as it is long.
With a decent chop saw, it goes through quick enough that you don't really heat up much of the spring. Maybe the 1st 1/4" near the cut. Doesn't hurt the overall temper of the spring.

I usually use the chop saw for straight cuts and the band saw for angle cuts when I taper the ends.

Note: Cut one leaf at a time with either saw, and with the chop saw cut on edge.

I think I'm gonna use the band saw, I had considered sending them to work with a friend of mine and putting them through the Shear (yes it would have cut them)but that would be alot of work for him and not me.

Hey Josh if you need I have a portaband you can use. Just let me know even in the future.

Back